Sign in to follow this  
crankbait2009

Fishing Report Thus Far For The 2011 Season......

Once the rains have stopped and the weather has gotten back to normal, I have been hitting up my normal wading spots as well as the local shores.

I have been catching fish like always, with the exception of a few species that are not normal for me. Such as Saugeye and Crappie in the waters I fish in.

I have been catching various sizes of largemouths at alarming rates ranging from dinks and all the way up to no more than a pound in weight. All fun and games till someone gets hurt!!!! Allow me to explain. The past few times out I have caught smallies, largemouths and rock bass off my normal crankbaits. But for some reason, more times than not, I am hooking the fish with the front hook through the lip and the back hook is getting hooked right through the gills. Now, in the past I would occasionally hook one through the gills but the hook actually grazes the gill plate and never actually through the gills. As you can imagine, as I pull them out to unhook, they look like a fountain of blood. I unhook them and return them to the water as fast as I can.

I am also experiencing something new, the smallies, large mouths and rock bass are ALL throwing the hooks. They are all jumping out of the water and throwing the hook. Some stay on and others I can pull in and get before the hook comes out. In the past I have had a fish or two that would try and throw the hook but this year, MAN, its happening every time. I know that's all part of the game but I am also losing a lot of fish because of this. I learned on this forum that you want to keep the line as tight as possible NO MATTER WHAT. If that line goes slack, the more of a chance the fish will throw the hook. But its all fun trying to keep the line tight while they jump around. The DINKS are even doing it too.

Now back to the gill hooking. Could the gills getting hooked be mainly because of the fish trying to throw the hook as much as they are? Does this happen a lot? HOW CAN YOU AVOID THE GILL HOOKING?

I hope I did well by getting them back in the water as soon as possible but I don't know if these fish are dying shortly after.

Now, If I had a boat/live well, I could throw some chemicals in there that would help the curing process. Is there anything I can do as a shore fisherman/wader?

All in all it has been a very productive season thus far. I'm just running in to a stretch of scenarios that I have never had to deal with......(gill hooking and fish throwing the hook)

Can anyone offer any advice?

I just spoke with someone and they mentioned pouring (slowly) a can of mountain dew in to the fishes mouth. it will crystallize on the wound causing the bleeding to stop....................has anyone else ever done this?

Mountain Dew works, but putting it back in the water will instantly clot the wound.

Mountain Dew works, but putting it back in the water will instantly clot the wound.

Not always, as anyone with a blood filled live well can attest to. It really depends on the wound. Either with or without soda, get them back in the lake as quick as possible for quick recovery.

Don't feel bad bout the fish throwing the hooks I think iv had more fish throw a crank bait and a spinner bait out this past 2 weeks then iv had my entire life. I lost like 5 bass on the side of the boat out in the erie canal the other week and same thing when bank fishiing always lipless cranks or my spinners

ive gotten to where if i get a big one on, along with keeping her tight, i go diggin'. meaning i put half my rod straight down in the water till i get her within netting distance.