jj'sbassinforfun

Shimano Citica Ci201E Or Curado Cu51E

Looking to replace my Shimano Coriolis. I never really liked the fit and feel of this reel. It steered me away from the shimano's. Gonna give them another shot! It will be primarily used for spinner baits on a 6' rod.

I have 2 questions. Which is more durable? And is there much difference between the 2??

Unfortunately, I will have to purchase this over the net. Not one dealer carries Shimano in my little town. I hate buying site unseen and could use a test drive. The reason for my asking.

TIA

Edit: to be more specific=Citica CI201E Or Curado CU51E

The Curado 201e (lefty version of the 200e) is only available in 7:1, so if you're looking for a lefty Shimano in 6:1 in that price range, you're pretty much stuck with a Citica 201e or a Curado 51e.

Personally, I'd go with the Curado 201e7 and slow my retrieve down a bit.

The Curado 201e (lefty version of the 200e) is only available in 7:1, so if you're looking for a lefty Shimano in 6:1 in that price range, you're pretty much stuck with a Citica 201e or a Curado 51e.

Personally, I'd go with the Curado 201e7 and slow my retrieve down a bit.

I edited my post to be more specific.

I can start off slow, But typically end up fishing too fast. So the lower gears help! It would be easier for me to switch to a RH reel. Only reason I mention the Citica 201e is BPS has them marked down to $99.88. I have seen the Curado 51e for around $140 or so. Curado in green will also take some getting used too! Green=Uggg!

Life was much easier when I only had one rod/reel combo in the boat. :-)

to answer your question, the Citica and the Curado are both great reels you really can't go wrong. the main difference in the two is that the Curado 50 series is going to be lighter, but have less line capacity. Also, the Curado is going to be a smoother reel, cast a bit further and be more comfortable while reeling in with the bigger knobs on the handle. The Citica is still a great reel, just not as refined, it doesn't have bearings in the knobs, and it doesn't have a bearing on the drive shaft. As for other little amenities the Curado has a metal star drag, the Citica's is plastic, and the green paint on the Curado is really not that bad, It changes colors in the sunlight, it goes from green to like a bronzeish color. I have a 200E7 on a Blue Legend tournament and it still looks good. In my opinion though I would go with the regular Curado just cause you can always slow down, but you can't get the speed if you want it with the lower gear ratios, it just widens what you can do with your setup. Plus they are on sale at BPS for $139.

Thank you both for the replies. I will have to make a trip to my local Cabels's and fondle both models. But before I do I will mount a 7.1 to 1 HS(not mentioning brand) to my SB rod and see how it goes. I can wake most SB with my present 6.3 to 1 reel and easily buzz all day long. Again slowing down is tough for me!

Citica pulls in 27" of line per handle turn, the curado 51 pulls 25". I have both a nd love both, but the curado is sick!

Totally agree with Dr. Watson! You cant go wrong with either I would just look at the application you are going to put the reel to. If you are going to use bigger baits, say spinnerbaits or crankbaits go with the Citca. But, if you go with plastics get the 51E. Line capacity should favor the Citica, but enjoy what ever you get because either one should make you happy!

Let us know what you decided upon.

Took the ride to Cabela's this afternoon. I didn't like the feel of the CI201E. The CU51E felt OK, But for the about same money the CU201E7 seemed to be the best deal. Checked out the bargain cave and they had an open box CU201E7 for $90.00. My lucky day! Heck I figured if it didn't work I could put it on fleabay and probably make a buck or 2.

Spooled, mounted and headed to the dock for some test casts. Smooth feel and easily burns/wakes the SB no problem. If I keep my head in it I can slow roll ok. Much easier to buzz with it and should make for an easier day on the water when buzzin/wakin. The CU201E7 will do just fine.

Thanks guys!

I've used both reels (rightys) extensively. Like them both. The Citica 200 for line capacity and the 50e for its' ability to cast/pitch lighter lures better. The 50e is also a little lighter.

All other things being equal the ability to cast/pitch light lures is largely dependent on how fast the spool starts and that is determined by the weight of spool filled with line.

Here are some spool weights in grams with and without Stren Original mono in 14# test.

The 50e spool empty weighs 11.4 grams; filled line it weighs 17.9 g.

The Citica 200e spool empty weighs 14.8 grams; filed with line it weighs 25.2 g.

It is evident that mono has a major effect on total spool weight.

Note: The Curado 200e spool weighs one gram lighter. I can't detect any differences in casting ability between the Citica and Curado.

I would buy the Citica for line capacity reasons only. Both are great reels tho.