Sign in to follow this  
Jim H.

Old Timer

Back in the 1980's I was a serious bass tournament fisherman and fished over 200 tournaments. I won some and lost many but I was "in the money" more often than not. Then there was "the event" when I broke my back in a fall. After months of physical therapy i was once again able to walk but there was no freeking way I could take the beating you get at 65 MPH down the lake. Well that was then and this is now! I just this bought myself a deep "V" 17' aluminum boat powered by a 75 horse Mercury. It is huge! It is higher, wider, and smoother than my 17.5' Ranger from the 1980's and will do 40+ MPH.

My question is this, back in those days I was on the Lowrance Pro Staff and knew a lot about all the electronics available at the time. I loved my dash mounted flasher. It would immediately indicate a sudden depth change so you could trim up or shut down to avoid shallow obstacles. Today, about all I can find are digitals and LCD's that scroll so slowly that you can never see a rapid change in drpth in time to correct your course.

What new fangled device can react as quickly as the obselete Lowrance 1240??

Your input is appreciated.

Flashers are still readily available and I know a couple guys who use them. Vexilar and Marcum make them.

Flashers are still readily available and I know a couple guys who use them. Vexilar and Marcum make them.

Thanks guy I'll look those companies up.

Many of the current sounders will display in the circular flasher mode. However, flashers leave no history trail of the bottom. Depth changes appear instantly on the display in the "chart" view as well. On some, there is a flasher bar at the side of the display. It is nothing more or less than a straight line version of the circular flasher.

When ever there is a flash, it is displayed instantly then moves across the screen. The moving display of the bottom is a recording of what you have seen on the flasher.

You can see the flasher bar to the right of the screen and the "history" of the flasher which scrolls across the screen. The speed of scrolling is adjustable to suit your preferences. If you don't like the fish icons and depth feature, that can be turned off, and the fish will be seen as arches.

Humminbird565-unit.jpg