Sign in to follow this  
OHIO

Beaver Baits

I just started fishing these and they are great. I catch a lot of fish with them, but they tear up way too easy.

Me and a friend were fishing and losing claws on almost every cast from bluegill nipping at the ends.

They are the Big Bite Baits Fighting Frog. If anyone knows something similar, but a little more durable, it would be appreciated.

I was using the Fighting Frog a lot last year, but started to fish the X-Factor Busy Beaver this year and have been doing great so far. Its actually very similar to MegaStrikes Megabug, but without the four side curl-tail appendages, just two claw appendages.

I haven't even gone through a bag of the Busy Beavers yet. But I have been using Mend-It on the one or two that I might use in a day. So far, only one has been thrown away. I'd say 10-12 fish a piece so far without major damage, nothing that I wasn't able to fix and reuse.

I was also using the Big Bite Yo Mama. I've heard great things but I haven't been getting bit on them as much so I can't say.

I have had a lot of luck on the YUM wooley bug and the Havoc pitboss. Lots of green sunfish around here but they don't get the claws very often unless you swing on them.

I haven't had too much of a problem with appendages getting easily ripped off with the Havocs, Reation Innovations 4.20, or Megabugs. There is a major brand that I won't mention, that if a 2 inch minnow nips it, one of the claws will be gone.

i use the yum wooly bug and the only durability problem is the hook tearing through the middle but ive never had the claws fall off

I lose claws on pretty much all the beaver type baits except for the Zoom Super Hog.

The Sweet Beavers and the GCBY Flappin' Hog are so salty that the plastic becomes very brittle, even watterlogged and tears up. Each one is a stellar fish catcher though. The Perfect Plastic Rodent is similarly fragile.

I have lost appendages on both the Pit Boss and the Fighting Frog (currently my favorite creature/beaver bait), though the bass do not seem to mind.

If you have a bottle of Mend-it and a couple of pulled apart baits, cut off appendages from one and merge them into one complete bait when you get home, it'll save some money.