Sign in to follow this  
MAD

Horsepower Restricted Lakes

My problem is that in my area, near the PGH Airport, there is a mix of waters from electric only, 10 hp, 20 hp, and unlimited horsepower lakes. I am looking for a fiberglass bass boat, probably 15-17 ft, mainly due to recommendations on the stability. Is it better to get a boat for the unlimited horsepower lakes and just use the electric on the smaller lakes? Or is it better to get a 10-20 hp and just labor on the unlimited waters? I would like to start fishing tournaments and they occur on all the types of waters. The only really good water close to me is the Ohio River which is unlimited. The real answer is of course two boats, but only one boat is in the cards right now. Any suggestions are appreciated.

My problem is that in my area, near the PGH Airport, there is a mix of waters from electric only, 10 hp, 20 hp, and unlimited horsepower lakes. I am looking for a fiberglass bass boat, probably 15-17 ft, mainly due to recommendations on the stability. Is it better to get a boat for the unlimited horsepower lakes and just use the electric on the smaller lakes? Or is it better to get a 10-20 hp and just labor on the unlimited waters? I would like to start fishing tournaments and they occur on all the types of waters. The only really good water close to me is the Ohio River which is unlimited. The real answer is of course two boats, but only one boat is in the cards right now. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Which waters will you be fishing the most to start with?

The boat itself will not win tourny's...You will.

If I may I would suggest something in between like a aluminum with somewhere around the 40 horse range especially if you fish the river that has a lot of rocks and current...If you hit a rock with the glass boat it will not hold up as good as the aluminum.

Do these electric only places have a lot of tree stumps etc...to get hung up on.

With an aluminum boat the options seem to be unlimited and are very comfotable to fish from plus they will hold a good value when it does come time to step up to a glass boat should you ever decide to sell it.

The best thing I like with aluminum boats is that you can get everything you want in a boat and still pay only a quarter of what a glass boat cost's, If you are considering new or slighly used.

If you will be fishing primarily larger lakes and rivers then I would suggest a glasser but the way it sounds in your post that is not the case since you stated that the only good water is the river for unlimited horsepower.

It is easy to get caught up in wanting a glasser and there is no problem with getting one but you have to ask yourself how practical would one be for you?

As far as the stability factor goes you can get good performance from both but here again it all depends on where your primary fishing is going to take place, I have a 17' Nitro glasser and in rougher waters it is not much more stable than my buddy's aluminum Bass Tracker.

Good luck with what ever you decide to get and send us some pic's!!!

I've seen many different rules on the limited waters. Some will allow you to use a regular bass boat, but the propeller must be removed. On others, the motor must be locked in the up position. On yet others such as East and West Antioch lakes at the Rocky Mountain State Park in or near Rome, GA, have the following regulation.

Boats

Fishing boats may be used on recreation lakes but must be operated at idle (no-wake) speed regardless of

motor size. All boats used on the area must carry the required safety equipment, including appropriate

personal flotation devices. All vessels, which carry any means of mechanical propulsion, must be

registered. Personal watercraft (jet skis) and sailboard use is prohibited.

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/uploads/wildlife/fishing/pdfs/pfa/rmpfa_fishing_regs.pdf

You can use a regular bass boat, and can run the gasoline engine, but only at idle.

Others will not allow any boat on the water with any propulsion that exceeds their limit no matter, no how.

Yet others, like Varner in Georgia are limited to boats of 16 feet or less, and electric motors only. Some of the rigs that fish there have as many as three motors on the stern with another in the bow. Yet others have electric motors that will move the boats at planing speed. Not for long, but they buzz from spot to spot and then use a trolling motor. Not sure if those are allowed in Varner, but they are used on some of the electric only lakes in the Metro Atlanta area.

Because the regs can vary so widely, check with your local authorities on the specifics.

Thanks guys for the advice. It is funny, but it seems that for what one is getting the glass is actually cheaper than the aluminum around here. Thanks again.

The best thing I like with aluminum boats is that you can get everything you want in a boat and still pay only a quarter of what a glass boat cost's, If you are considering new or slighly used.

Whatchutalkinboutwillis?

1/4 the price? Where is this? Maybe in years past, but a quality tin boat will run 2/3 to full price against a similar equiped 'glass boat. I believe 'glass boats retain their value better, but in this economy anything is possible.

Where are you going to fish primarily? You may need to make some sacrifices. As far as fishing tourneys, a bigger motor=faster drive times=more fishing time. That being said I have a tin boat with a 90hp Merc and have fished Anglers Choice tourneys for 6 years against guys with some very expensive and very fast rigs. I have cashed checks in about 50% of the tourneys I fish. The bass doesn't know how much you paid for your boat.