Sign in to follow this  
Kevinator1

Battery / Starter Question

Hey guys, I know I can count on you. I have a 2005 50 horse mercury on a bass tracker 175 pro. This past weekend when I started it, it started to have that oh no sounds like the battery is going dead sound. The starter slowed down and then it fired. Then the next time I tried to start it...it barely wanted to turn over. Then nothing. I pulled the battery out(which is 5 years old) but when I put the battery tester on it it read 12.7 volts. Do you think it is possible that it still could be the battery or do you think solenoid/starter issue? Just wandering what you think. Thanks for any help.

Kevin

Battery. just because you're showing voltage doesn't mean there's enough umph left in the battery to start the motor.

Battery. just because you're showing voltage doesn't mean there's enough umph left in the battery to start the motor.

thanks slone, thats what I was needing. I just wasn't sure about the voltage reading. I probably have gotten my moneys worth out of a 5 year old battery anyway.

Thanks, Kevin

Had to buy a starting battery yesterday. Got an everstart 31 series for $85.00 @ Wally World. 18 month warranty.

Kelley

Had to buy a starting battery yesterday. Got an everstart 31 series for $85.00 @ Wally World. 18 month warranty.

Kelley

Hey Kelley, I was thinking about trying an Everstart. Price is right, my old one was an interstate which came with the boat. I'm sure the Everstarts are probably made by the same big companies as the others.

Thanks, Kevin

Put your meter across the battery terminals and try to start it. It should not drop below about 10.7 volts. I run large enough cranking batteries they don't drop anywhere near that, but that's about the max one should drop. Even dropping that much, it will probably knock all you're electronics off when you crank it.

That's only if you want to spend the time, you can bet that battery is bad. I never run cranking batteries but three years in any of my vehicles and boats. Batteries are just too dang cheap compared to the problems and grief they can cause to try and get that last little nickles worth out of them.