Sign in to follow this  
clayton86

Spare Spools

Does anyone buy spare spools for there baitcasters I was watching the bass pros and KVD suggested it and am now thinking of buying a spare one for my revo sx and throwing some braid on it.

I've got one for my Carbonlite. It helps alot if you only have so many rods to cover alot of techniques. I quick spool change and you can go from jigs with braid to cranks with flouro.

That's what I was thinking cuz I only have 3 rods and 1 just took a dump on me

What are your setups?

I have a revo sx paired with a 76MHF veritas spooled with 17lb vanish. I use this rod for my jigs and plastics.

Pfluger echlon paired with a 7mh lightning rod with 50lb power pro this is my frog rod. The reel and rod arnt great hold up decent only isue is the reel feels loose.

quantim tennacy ap combo with a 66M rod spooled with 10lb trilene xs. This set up is sadly my most used and cheapest I throw spinners cranks weighless plastics u name it with this set up. But this is also the reel that took a crap on me it seizes up the more I use it. It starts of smooth and nice it casts far but after a few hrs it seizes when u reel it in like freezes solid. Its not a great set up it cost me 39.99 new from dicks.

I want to buy a new spool for the revo and take the last combo out of the picture for now. Iv cleaned and lubed all my reels every season and then lube them once a week. I also have a bps xtreme spinning combo I use for finnese fishing this is my other crappy set up id love to send to the bottom of the lake.

Yeah, i'd definitely get a spare spool for the SX. You could use the fluoro for spinnerbaits and cranks, and other stuff while having the braid spool for throwing plastics and jigs.

Just make sure you carry some electrical tape (Doesn't matter what kind of tape really, i just like electrical) so you'r line doesn't jump off the spool.

And If you go with braid,I highly recommend picking up some Sufix 832 40 lb. I love it. Also maybe pick up some regular mono for leader's if you want to have some stretch for topwater.

I´ve got a couple of spare Citica 100 DSV spools for my Chronarch 50 Mg, if I want to fish with heavier line I just change the spool and voilá, it´s like having another reel. Spools for baitcasters aren´t exactly cheap, but they are a lot cheaper than purchasing another reel.