Sign in to follow this  
clayton86

Disapointment

I went out groundhog hunting today and got 1 finaly with the 243 58gr vmax and I must say I'm slightly disapointed. Iv heard all these reports of them blowing up and being messy and iv shot pumpkins with them and it made a big mess. However the chuck wasn't blown up or anything it had a tiny frothy entry with no exit. I supose that's good because its great for coyote and fox but I was hoping for a big splat and red mist

Was it a ground hog or praire dog? Praire dogs will blow up pretty bad when you shoot them with a fast, flat shooting bullet and might be what you're thinking about. Ground hogs are pretty good sized, at least around here they're bigger than a rabbit, and they absorb the shock of a bullet pretty good and sometimes take more than one shot with a smaller round. Praire dogs are only about the size of squirrel so if you hit them center mass there is really nothing to absorb all that energy so they just blow up.

Ground hog we call em woodchucks in new york it did absorb it pretty good it was like mush inside besides the normal fat that they are. My nephew is using a .223 with cheap hp and they tear em up but he had to shoot his 2nd one twice the first didn't put it down. Mine didn't even twitch it was instant flat line dead dead dead. Both his twitched and scooted all over. So the internal balistics of them vmax with the rapid expansion must be just insane

Neck I'd post a pic but it says internal server

It should have at least exited. I use to deer hunt with a .243 and I think I shot 80 grain soft points. One deer it would leave a pretty good crater and the next would barely have a entry wound.

Nope no exit which is what the bullet is desiged to do for fur berrers but I heard on chucks they went splat maybe I need to connect with bone next will be a head shot