Wolverine Bass Man

Which Rods To Get For Person New To Bass Fishing

Hey everyone,

I am have been fishing since I was three but it has always been for walleye. I recently tried bass fishing and found that I really enjoy it. I would like to get some bass specific rods since all I have is walleye rods. I am looking to get something that won't break the bank but also is a good rod. My price range will most likely be $50-$100. I have been looking online and I have found the Abu Garcia Vengeance rods and the St. Croix Mojo Bass. I like that the St. Croix are technique specific since I am new to the different techniques of bass fishing and have not learned which rods are for which technique, but they are a little on the high side of price. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards Wolverine. Are you looking for a spinning rod or casting? I personally like my Mojo rod, but there are probably better offerings in that price point if you want the most bang for your buck (Shimano Compre for example). I would recommend getting a nicer $100 rod for multiple techniques over 2 $50 rods. A 7' medium power rod with a fast tip would make for a nice multi-technique rod (Compre comes in either 6'8" or 7'2" versions). Best of luck with your search.

A nice medium power fast action rod in your preferred length and style (spinning/ casting) should fit your bill. You could buy a lower end Shimano (clarus/ compre), or a BPS house rod, and that would serve you well for years.

MH/F casting for jigs, worms, spinnerbaits etc.

MH/Mod casting for crankbaits

M/F spinning for light jigs plastics <1/2 oz

One of your walleye rigs would probably make a good drop-shot, weightless plastics rod.

I am looking for a spinning for wacky worms, tubes and casting for spinner baits, crankbaits. Thanks guys!

WBM,

If you're a Walleye fisherman, chances are you already have a good candidate for a spinning/finesse bass rod. My finesse rod is a Med/Fast 7' St Croix Avid with a Stratic 2500 spinning reel. It is the oldest rod in my arsenal and used to be my Walleye Lindy-Rig rod. Now it is my shakey head/fluke/senko/wacky setup. Got a 4lber on it last night... :)

I am looking for a spinning for wacky worms, tubes and casting for spinner baits, crankbaits. Thanks guys!

Crankbaits and Spinner baits uses different type of action rod. As for worms or jigs, you want a fast action tip. Cranking calls for moderate action. Spinner bait calls for Moderate fast action.

For $50 -$100, Abu Garcia, Carrot stix Pro series, and St. Croix makes pretty good rods at that price.