Sign in to follow this  
pondassasin

What Lb Test Of Suffix 832 On Helium 7' Mh And Lews Tourney Pro

I don't have either the rod, or the reel. And I never tried 832.

However, I do use braid + leader on my hudd/ soft swimbait setup and it's working out well; hopefully this will help you or someone else to figure out your own solution.

I used to use 15 lb Yo-zuri, and the only thing I didn't like was the stretch. I now run 80 lb Samurai, which has the diameter of 17 lb mono. I know 80 lb sounds overkill, but it's really not. Braid has low shock strength, and it's easy to cast off a bait on a backlash. Yeah, maybe not a little jig or a spinnerbait. But a 2 oz bait? Certainly. Once again, please adjust to your own set-up; you probably aren't going to throw 2 oz baits on that rod. Lower diameter braid (at least Samurai) has a tendency to dig in on baitcasters too. The diameter is the important thing here.

The leader I run is 20 lb Big Game. The leader helps with abrasion resistance. I like to match the leader diameter to the braid diameter (no less than the braid diameter though), but it really doesn't matter a lot. The leader also provides a little bit of stretch to prevent casting off baits, and breaking stuff if you like to fish with locked down drags.

EDIT: I re-read the post I made, and I know it sounds like I'm paranoid about casting off baits. But I really am; when that bait is a hudd. Some baits have been eaten time and again, and got the "mojo"; if you know what I mean. There's no way I'm going to lose those.

50 lb 832.all these guys breaking off on casts must be using junk braid.forget the leader.

• Like 1

I've used 832 30lb with a mono backing on the reel with no leader as I don't fish many or at times any lakes that are clear enough to warrant a leader.

Forget what pound test a superline is, get the one that has a diameter that is suitable for the presentations. 4# or 6# mono equivelent diameters don't have much shock strength so it is not good for baits that may cause backlashes (spinnerbaits, some cranks, Chatterbaits, buzzbaits, etc). A minumum of 10# diameter is best for those presentations with baitcasters. For hooksets with plastics, the 4# diameter and under sizes will snap also, Use 6# diameter or larger for those on spinning gear or baitcasters.

I use 8# diameter superlines for most light presentations and 10# diameter and larger for heavy duty work (frogging, flipping, the before mentioned presentations).

deep's advice is right on.