Sign in to follow this  
Bassfisherman94

How Critical?

Not at all.

If you decide to buy "technique specific" equipment, then get a crankbait rod

and a slower reel (more torque). My reel of choice for deep cranking applications

is the CTE200GT, 5.0:1. On the other hand, for lipless and shallow running cranks,

I fish a fast reel on a medium power/ moderate action rod (Avid AVC70MM/ Chronarch

50MG).

B)

Agree with RW, but it's still a matter of personal preference. Some use a 7:1 reel for cranking and others use a much smaller ratio.

For cranking in general, no. For deep cranking all day, an absolute yes. Any bait

that generates substantial resistance will flat wear out your hand/wrist be it a

large bill crankbait or large bladed spinnerbaits. The torgue of a 5.something will

reduce the fatigue from fighting that resistance. I won't get into a brand war, it's

the gear ratio that counts.

For that deep of diving, I would recommend a 5.x reel to save your hands/wrists/elbows/fingers/arms/SANITY!

Jeff

I am planning on throwing 5XD's 6XDS and other deep divers on this reel will that effect it?

You will definitely want a 5.0:1, I use a 6.4:1 for my shallow cranks and I don't even like putting a 7-8 ft crankbait on it

I use a 6:3 and 6:4 gear ratios for most of my cranking applications: square bills, red eyes, series 3's, 3xd's, and series 5's . When Im throwing my 5xd's and 6xd's I always throw them on a 5:3 because it takes so much stress off your hands, back, and arms. If you can pair it up with a 7'6 to 8ft rod you will eliminate even more stress. The long rod helps take up a lot more line when you make a hook set too! A 5:3 will make a long day of deep cranking a lot easier. Not to mention you can BOMB those 6xd's with a long rod!