Primus

New Baits /techniques That Worked For You In 2011

Since I started it here are mine...

8" Hudd / 7" Rago BVD - Excellent soft swimbaits

Triple Trout- responsible for one of my best stringers of the year

3:16 Wake Jr- topwater action swimbait style

Little John DD - I love this deep diver, cast like a rocket so you can cover water

Xcite Maximus on a 1/2 Mag Titleshot 8/0 - power shaky style, great summer bait

I pretty much do the same stuff year after year....why? Because it works for me, but I do always try new things each year, some get kept in the rotation, some do not. This is what was new and/or different for me in 2011 that worked and I am keeping in the line up.

Changed from Zoom super fluke to Strike King Caffine Shads. IDK if I caught more fish on the SK's bt I like the wiggle they have on the fall, and the fact they are a little heavier so they cast and sink better than flukes.

Changed from Zoom trick/finesse worms to the Strike King 3x worms...caught more fish, used less baits.

Started using Jackall Flickshake worms on a wacky jig...for the most part a senko has always been my go to wacky rig bait, I seem to be able to get a few bites on the worm when they wouldn't bite the senko.

Swimbaits...I saw enough good fish caught on hard bodied baits to get off my wallet and buy a few, and I caught enough on soft bodied skinny dipper type paddle tails to experiment further with them in 2012.

• Like 1

Neko rig.

Went from flukes to kietech swing impacts. I dont know if I caught anymore than I would have with the flukes, but did spend more money on them.

I also started using a drop shot. Caught some good fish and really liked using it. This is definitely something I'm going to expand on next season.

I had never fished a bladed swim jig (chatterbait) before. On February 21, 2011, I tied one on for the first time and caught my 9.06lb LMB PB. The next day, I caught a 6.32lb LMB. Caught a few more fish on chatterbaits after that and then went to other baits as the water warmed up.

I DO have one tied on a rod right now and it will be going swimming sometime soon... :lol:

gallery_25379_89_358197.jpg

1. Dropshotted for the first time ever this year and caught more bass this year than ever. No giants off it, but great #'s.

2. When i thought there were good bass holding where the drop shot was working, i threw a shakey head and did well.

3. I REALLY wanted to fish jigs a lot this year. I started tying my own and used them every time out. Caught enough to get some confindence, but still haven't gotten confidence fishing jigs offshore. Don't know if I'm too fast, too slow, or just in the wrong place. I really want to get confidence in offshore jig fishing.

Super slow sink hard swimbaits. It's work, and sometimes painfully slow, but when a plan comes together....

Photo-0064.jpg

Mine would have to be dead sticking a jig. Just cast out to a target, let it sink to the bottom and then let it sit until it gets bit. It works best with jigs that have long living rubber skirts.

I've tried that before in clear water and watched bass spook when the skirt flairs. Never tried it again

The shorter the skirt the faster it flairs. I would never do it with a standard silicon skirt due to it's short length. That's why I make my own. My skirts are very long.