Sign in to follow this  
The one that got away

Bps Johnny Morris Carbon Black - Opinions?

BPS has the JM Carbon Black on sale tomorrow as a one-day special for $69, at least at the BPS near me. I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on one, but I want to see if anyone has feedback on this reel. I think they only made this particular model reel for a year or two, which makes me a bit hesitant. I know the Johnny Morris is always well reviewed on the BPS site, but who knows.

Pluses/minuses? I'm assuming it's a bit on the heavy side, but I'm fine with that if that's the only drawback.

That reel came out right behind Rick Clunn's model getting cancelled. It's on the same frame and body style, a bit oversized compared to some others, just like his was. I'd say it's the same reel basically.

Other than the bearings, the gear ratio's and the weight, they're the same reel.

The Carbon Black isn't a bad buy at all at that money, heck it's not a bad buy at $90.

For $69, great freakin' deal! At full price, 120ish, I'd look at a Revo S or Citica. They do come in all 3 ratios which is nice. I put one of the 5.4:1 reels on a crankin rod last fall I picked up for 89 and fishied it all winter. Nice drag. The only downside is the weight, not an issue for what I use it for. You'll like it.

They are terrible, stay away from them. At least until after 9:30am after I get my 3 max they allow and get out the door....

For $69 this is a smokin deal.

• Like 1

I got to BPS at 9:05am today and got a lefty in 7.1 speed. Saw about 5-6 other Carbon Blacks get sold in the few minutes I was there.

got a 5 ratio

I got a 7.1 yesterday.

Now all I have to do is figure out what rod to put it on for which technique, :dazed-7: as i've never used one with that ratio before.

Mike