Kicker

• BassResource.com Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
  • Facebook:www.facebook.com/hawgtech
  • LocationFort Lauderdale, FL
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Whichever one I'm fishing...

Posted January 21 2013 - 07:21 PM

Louie,

Sorry to hear it.  It could have been worse, though.  A lot worse.  Gear can be replaced.

Sounds like you were inside the marina (since you only had to swim 30 yards to get to a ladder).  That should be a no-wake area. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but it is probably a good thing it happened where it did.  If the waves inside the marina were getting your stuff wet and a boat in a no-wake area capsized you, it is probably fortunate for you that you did not make it into the main lake.  You capsize out there and your odds of swimming to safety with your aunt are much diminished.

Again, sorry that your trip went so bad.  You've gotten a lot of good advice here on how to get your gear replaced.  Send me an IM...I'll see what I can do to replace your trip. 

#17 Matt1965

Matt1965

Fry

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 24 2013 - 10:22 AM

Louie,

Sorry to hear about your trip. I don't know anything about lake okechobee, and I've never even fished in florida, but I've had luck with lost fishing gear by dragging big weighted treble hooks along the bottom. If you were that close to shore, you probably have a fairly good idea of where some of your stuff landed and fishing rods tend to sink relatively straight down. I know it's likely a long shot, if there's a lot of weeds and such, but if i lost a $650 rod, you bet i'd give it a shot if I could. 

You could also try a local scuba diving shop. Alot of them will do recovery work. Maybe not in Lake Okechobee given the gators and whatnot, but you never know! Best of luck!

#18 Nitrofreak

Nitrofreak

Kiss my bass!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,373 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg Va
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Anna Va.

Posted January 25 2013 - 09:07 AM

Wow !!

I thought I had some bad trips but that one was bad for sure !!

I am really glad to hear you all were ok, it really could have been much worse than that, the gear, even though a tough pill to swallow, is a loss, at least you still have each other to share more fishing trips together.

Good luck and be safe !!!

Louie,

Sorry to hear it.  It could have been worse, though.  A lot worse.  Gear can be replaced.

Sounds like you were inside the marina (since you only had to swim 30 yards to get to a ladder).  That should be a no-wake area. 

Don't take this the wrong way, but it is probably a good thing it happened where it did.  If the waves inside the marina were getting your stuff wet and a boat in a no-wake area capsized you, it is probably fortunate for you that you did not make it into the main lake.  You capsize out there and your odds of swimming to safety with your aunt are much diminished.

Again, sorry that your trip went so bad.  You've gotten a lot of good advice here on how to get your gear replaced.  Send me an IM...I'll see what I can do to replace your trip. 

That is very kind of you to do for this young man, I would like to say you are one class act sir !!!

Fishing is my idea of a good lip piercing!

I have also found that when it comes to friends, a good friend will come and bail you out of jail, but best friends will be right there beside you saying d**n that was fun !!!

#19 shallow thinker

shallow thinker

Dual addictions - bass and snook

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose

Posted January 25 2013 - 10:32 AM

A similar thing happened in a club tournament out in the glades canals.  A wake caused a jon boat to sink... losing all the gear but everyone ended up safe.  That event, plus the experiences I've had in jon boats, canoes and yaks...  is a reminder to me to slow down when I have to pass by small craft.  Even bigger boats carrying kids or old folks deserve some consideration.  We do lots of canal fishing down in S Fl. and the proper etiquette is to come off plane in small canals unless the other boat waves you past.

Jack
Palm Beach County, Florida

#20 dave

dave

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • LocationBowie, MD
  • Favorite Lake or River:Mattawoman Creek

Posted February 01 2013 - 02:59 PM

Maybe if items were bought with a credit card or at bass pro or some other retailer that can provide a purchase history you may be able to get at least something back. Glad you are ok though things could be a lot worse for sure.

I am confused,  how is having purchased any product with a credit card or at Bass Pro going to get any of his equipment back?  I understand Sam's comment about homeowner's insurance but,  not this comment or the other about having saved receipts for LOST equipment and maybe being able to recover something.  Am I missing something?

Captain Dave Snellings

#21 flyfisher

flyfisher

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationMechanicsville, VA
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth

Posted February 01 2013 - 03:20 PM

Most times you need some sort of proof of ownership and buying on a credit card or at basspro they may be able to show proof that you bought a particular item that was lost in the accident.

I know when my road and mountain bikes were stolen and i filed a claim with my renter's insurance they wanted proof of ownership.  Luckily i had some pictures of me using the bike and when i opened the policy i took pictures of everything of value so in case something happened i would be prepared.

Makes me think that i should probably go take some pictures this weekend of all my stuff just in case something happens.

#22 dave

dave

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • LocationBowie, MD
  • Favorite Lake or River:Mattawoman Creek

Posted February 02 2013 - 06:14 PM

I get it.  Pictures are a good idea.