Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationWestchester county NY
  • My PB:Between 5-6 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth

Posted February 07 2013 - 02:25 PM

I have always used what I have around. This year I ran out of left overs so I bought some zebco omniflex from wal mart. 700 yards for $2.88 don't get much cheaper than that.
  • Ima Bass Ninja likes this

#17 bassin is addicting

bassin is addicting

one more cast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationBedford, IN
  • My PB:Between 6-7 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Spotted
  • Favorite Lake or River:Patoka Lake
    Lake Monroe
    Ohio River
    White River

Posted February 07 2013 - 02:38 PM

All of my baitcasters have backing on them.  I put a piece of tape around the backing line.  After that I tie on just like I would tie to the spool.

X2

i also do this with the spinning reels that have braid on them.

#18 Capt.Bob

Capt.Bob

Fish Hard or Go Home!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationNW Ohio
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Erie

Posted February 08 2013 - 04:40 AM

Trilene big game backer, blood knot to braid or fireline, then blood knot to fluoro. spin or casting, sometimes use big game as a leader instead of fluoro, in cloudy water rivers and such.

The sad thing about youth is, "you don't know what you got, till its gone"  

#19 LuckyHandsINC.

LuckyHandsINC.

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  • LocationWestchester county NY

Posted February 08 2013 - 07:52 AM

All of my baitcasters have backing on them.  I put a piece of tape around the backing line.  After that I tie on just like I would tie to the spool.
X2

i also do this with the spinning reels that have braid on them.

That's what I do too. It avoids the annoying knot under my thumb.
  • Felix77 likes this

#20 PotomacBassin

PotomacBassin

Rippin some lips

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Potomac River

Posted February 08 2013 - 08:50 AM

To save money, I also run whatever I have available as backing before putting on more expensive (and new) braid or FC.  I just found an older large spool of 20 lb mono.  Thoughts on whether that's too thick to use as good backing? 

I don't think this is too thick to use as a filler.  The thicker it is, the more space it takes up, meaning you can fill more space with less line.  Just helps you save more money. 

• nascar2428 likes this

#21 upnorthbassin

upnorthbassin

You can see my tiny subtle movements?!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • My PB:Between 0-1 lbs

Posted February 08 2013 - 07:29 PM

I've backed reels before with mono but now I think it's just one more step and one more knot in the mix. I mostly did it on bigger reels to use as backing for braid. I am also liking the smaller reels like the 30 size pflueger reels for example. It's not going to take a ton of line to just spool it up and I don't feel that I need a bigger reel than that for bass. Now if I was using tatsu or something in that price range I might do it more often to save money.

#22 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

Jack Crevelle, the Ultimate Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,783 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, Florida
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Worth Lagoon

Posted February 09 2013 - 04:01 AM

Some of the suggestions that have been mentioned are excellent cost saving measures, but not for me.

If I'm spending several hundred dollars on a rod and reel, I'm not shy to spend a little more and get the line of my choice, if it's on sale all the better.  Not to debate favoring 1 brand over another, which has been beat to death already, I want line in healthy condition on my reels and don't care how often I have to change it.  If I was overly concerned about total cost I'd be buying a more moderate priced outfit with the best line on it, not the reverse.

I prefer not to use backing at all with my braid, in the case of some of the smaller reels like a 30 floog it isn't that much line anyway.  Reels that I'm using to catch fish that are capable of some long runs, I don't care to risk losing a great fish due to a knot failure or being striped down to the backing.  If your fish is strong enough to go 50 yds, it can do a 100 yds just as easy. 

• OkobojiEagle likes this

I can teach you all you need to know, but I'll never teach you......ALL I KNOW !
http://www.bassresou...h-florida-fish/

#23 alexczarn

alexczarn

Alex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationVictor Harbor, South Australia
  • Favorite Bass:All three

Posted February 09 2013 - 04:08 AM

I do as well. I usually use Maxima.

#24 DarrenM

DarrenM

Kayak Fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,794 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Virginia
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lee Hall Reservoir

Posted February 09 2013 - 08:42 AM

Another tip was reversing the lines, especially with braid.

I do this, too. Just the other day I picked up 20 lb yellow PP for my Lexa which had new 40 lb green PP spooled on it for striper fishing. simply put the Lexa in free spool, took my Accurist and spooled the 40 off the Lexa onto it. Money saver, for sure.

-Darren

#25 WhiteMike1018

WhiteMike1018

"Adapt and Survive"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationDeptford, New Jersey
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth

Posted February 09 2013 - 08:44 AM

What happens when you get a nasty backlash and need to strip off line? Then all your stuck with is the cheap mono........thoughts?

#26 BradGuenette

BradGuenette

Addicted to bronze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Facebook:Brad Guenette
  • Twitter:@byguenette
  • LocationOttawa,Canada
  • Favorite Lake or River:St.Lawrence River

Posted February 09 2013 - 09:35 AM

I prefer not to use backing at all with my braid, in the case of some of the smaller reels like a 30 floog it isn't that much line anyway. Reels that I'm using to catch fish that are capable of some long runs, I don't care to risk losing a great fish due to a knot failure or being striped down to the backing. If your fish is strong enough to go 50 yds, it can do a 100 yds just as easy.

It's not just for savings costs, braided line will slip if it is tied directly to the spool... Hence the reason for backing.

#27 JigMe

JigMe

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Okeechobee, Rocky Gorge Reservoir

Posted February 09 2013 - 09:44 AM

It's not just for savings costs, braided line will slip if it is tied directly to the spool... Hence the reason for backing.

You can put a piece of tape on the spool, so it wont slip.  

• SirSnookalot likes this

#28 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

• Members
  • 10,783 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 04:54 AM

DirtNasty, on 09 Feb 2013 - 09:40, said:snapback.png

You can put a piece of table on the spool, so it wont slip.  

Tied direct to the spool yes, a piece of masking or electrical tape on the spool first NO SLIP.  I even use tape before spooling up with mono.

I can teach you all you need to know, but I'll never teach you......ALL I KNOW !

#29 Capt.Bob

Capt.Bob

Fish Hard or Go Home!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • LocationNW Ohio
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Erie

Posted February 10 2013 - 05:06 AM

Some of the suggestions that have been mentioned are excellent cost saving measures, but not for me.

If I'm spending several hundred dollars on a rod and reel, I'm not shy to spend a little more and get the line of my choice, if it's on sale all the better.  Not to debate favoring 1 brand over another, which has been beat to death already, I want line in healthy condition on my reels and don't care how often I have to change it.  If I was overly concerned about total cost I'd be buying a more moderate priced outfit with the best line on it, not the reverse.

I prefer not to use backing at all with my braid, in the case of some of the smaller reels like a 30 floog it isn't that much line anyway.  Reels that I'm using to catch fish that are capable of some long runs, I don't care to risk losing a great fish due to a knot failure or being striped down to the backing.  If your fish is strong enough to go 50 yds, it can do a 100 yds just as easy. 

Knot a problem, (Pun intended) really, if you use a proper knot and the right line it should never be a problem. I have never had an issue with breaking off, and have been in my backing a time or two, it just takes a little longer to rig. I use a 10 to 12 foot Fluorocarbon leader on all my setup's so there would be a failure at the leader first if I was going to have one at the backing, never been a problem, and I have been rigging this way for over 20 years, I just used mono before there was Fluorocarbon.

The sad thing about youth is, "you don't know what you got, till its gone"  

#30 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

• Members
  • 10,783 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 05:28 AM

Knot a problem, (Pun intended) really, if you use a proper knot and the right line it should never be a problem. I have never had an issue with breaking off, and have been in my backing a time or two, it just takes a little longer to rig. I use a 10 to 12 foot Fluorocarbon leader on all my setup's so there would be a failure at the leader first if I was going to have one at the backing, never been a problem, and I have been rigging this way for over 20 years, I just used mono before there was Fluorocarbon.

I can't imagine having a problem with perch or walleye either, just reel them in, not the case with many other species.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users