• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts
  • LocationNW Ohio
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Erie

Posted February 10 2013 - 06:18 AM

I can't imagine having a problem with perch or walleye either, just reel them in, not the case with many other species.

some don't use rope for everything. 2 and 6 pound you better learn how to do more than real em in when your catching 8 to 12 pound Eyes, and same system works for Pike and Musky, with 15 to 20 lbs line!! Size means nothing when you learn how to play any species on ultra light line, you just chase fish with heavier line!!!! Big fish heavier line like you fish, or smaller fish lighter line like I usually fish same requierments! Get them Big Musky near heavy weeds and I will go to 30 LBS. test for big musky, you know weeds like we have hear coontail and the likes, maybe you don't know I think those are pretty scarce in salt water???

The sad thing about youth is, "you don't know what you got, till its gone"  

#32 SirSnookalot

SirSnookalot

Jack Crevelle, the Ultimate Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,187 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, Florida
  • My PB:Please Choose
  • Favorite Bass:Please Choose
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lake Worth Lagoon

Posted February 10 2013 - 07:27 AM

some don't use rope for everything. 2 and 6 pound you better learn how to do more than real em in when your catching 8 to 12 pound Eyes, and same system works for Pike and Musky, with 15 to 20 lbs line!! Size means nothing when you learn how to play any species on ultra light line, you just chase fish with heavier line!!!! Big fish heavier line like you fish, or smaller fish lighter line like I usually fish same requierments! Get them Big Musky near heavy weeds and I will go to 30 LBS. test for big musky, you know weeds like we have hear coontail and the likes, maybe you don't know I think those are pretty scarce in salt water???

Who uses rope, most of us down here including myself fish 10-20 line and mh spinning for fish the size of pike and muskie.  I won't argue pound for pound what fish fights harder, think what you will on that.  You may choose to use backing for a 40# muskie, I wouldn't consider doing that for tarpon or jack, using fresh new line is the best ploy here, difference between landing and losing them.  Out of curiosity how many 30 or 40# muskie you catch in a year, 10-20 of them?  I catch a lot more than 20 fish that size in a year, I gotta go with works for me and I do most of it from shore where I chase them down on foot, try doing that for a couple of hundred yards.

BTW, I grew up on Lake St Clair and fished it for 50 years, very familiar with perch, walleye, bass smallmouth pike and muskie

I can teach you all you need to know, but I'll never teach you......ALL I KNOW !
http://www.bassresou...h-florida-fish/

#33 J Francho

J Francho

Oink-Oink!

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,169 posts
  • Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1027860732
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lakes Erie and Ontario

Posted February 10 2013 - 10:23 AM

Guys, let's try to stay relevant here.  It's a bass fishing site, after all. 

Everything in moderation.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#34 ww2farmer

ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,935 posts
  • LocationWestern NY
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Silver Lake (WNY)
    Conesus Lake (WNY)

Posted February 10 2013 - 06:54 PM

I use cheapo wal mart Zebco omni flex 10lb test, connected to my braid main line with an alberto knot. I have never had a big bass, pike or even a 30lb plus carp spool me to the backing. I have even been caught with my pants down a time or two, and been low on braid and got down to, and even casted out some backing with no issues, but I don't fish like that for long. I tend to, if I have it it the boat, but more braid on right away, or finish the day out, and change it before I hit the water again.

I am not afraid to suck.

#35 LgMouthGambler

LgMouthGambler

Live Life 1 Cast At A Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip