bass fishing

fishing

fishing

fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Help- I need Flipping Rod advice!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 arul

arul

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted April 24 2009 - 08:41 AM

So, I am needing a more heavy action rod for flipping hydrilla.  I am just learning this technique, and haven't had a "flipping stick" before...  I am probably going to be using 1 oz to 1 1/2 oz weight.  I see that Bass Pro has its extreme combo on sale, and I am happy with that combe at $109.

My question is, what kind of rod should I get for flipping?  What Length?  What action type?  Is heavy good enough, or should I get an xtra heavy?  What kind of handle?  Here is the link to the rods: lemme know which one you would choose- thanks!

http://www.basspro.c...tems#itemDetail

#2 .RM.

.RM.

Catching Big Spots With Custom Rods - Tuned Reels!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted April 24 2009 - 11:55 AM

If your limited on storage space for the rod while traveling or boating then I would recommend a Telescopic (breaks down into itself) rods. Don't know much about your linked choices, but I don't like the power hump on grips...
My thoughts...
If storage isn't a problem then I would recommend a 1pc. rod.
a dedicated flippin rod in the following:
7'6" to 7' 10" length with a Med Heavy to Heavy power, and, Mod Fast tip action, and Alconite guides/tip (for the braid)...

Just my .02¢

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

A poorly maintained reel can cost you fish, just like a dull hook, frayed lines, and a poor technique can..-
"Accuracy is much more important than distance"

#3 Ehubb5951

Ehubb5951

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted April 24 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hey I just started flippin this year my self. In fact in about an hour I'm about to go flip some laydowns ;). Anyway a 7'6" heavy action rod will work great. The bass pro rods are great for the money mixed thoughts on the power hump grip though(I like it) Not sure your price range but right now on Ebay you can get the QUANTUM TOUR EDITION PTC767FTB TOMMY BIFFLE FLIPPIN stick for 98 bucks shipped. That's a great deal!! Its the same rod I use for my flipping and I love it. As for the reel not sure if you got one yet but your gonna want one with a killer drag system. I would get a revo killer drag system on them babies. But the extreme combo will work really well for you also. Oh here's the link to the rod

http://cgi.ebay.com/QUANTUM-TOUR-EDITION-PTC767FTB-TOMMY-BIFFLE-FLIPPIN-76_W0QQitemZ310125266966QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item310125266966&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A30

#4 Catt

Catt

Drop the rod, reel the slack, & set the hook!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,836 posts

Posted April 24 2009 - 01:05 PM

I've fished matted Hydrilla since 1974 using just about every rod invented; my current weapon of choice is as follows

Daiwa TD-V701MHRB Team Daiwa-V

Length: 7' 0” Line Class: 10-20 lb Lure Weight: ¼-1 oz.  Action: Extra Fast

Shimano Cardiff CDF100A Gear Ratio: 5.8:1 Weight: 8.1 oz Bearings: 4+1

Line: 65# Power Pro

I'm totally uncomfortable with any rod over 7' so I do not even attempt using one ;)
Instead of telling God how big your storm is tell the storm how big your God is!

#5 DINK WHISPERER

DINK WHISPERER

Troll quietly and carry a big flippin stick!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted April 24 2009 - 10:16 PM

The action and power depends a lot on the manufacturer. I recently bought a Falcon Cara flippin stick that looked like a tooth pick! I would recommend either a Shimano Crucial 7' 6" Heavy/fast or a Powell 7' 6" Mag heavy/extra fast. I have owned both and absolutely loved them! The Powell being my favorite though. As for reels, i use the Abu Garcia Revo line up due to there amazing 24lb drag system!