bass fishing

fishing

fishing
fish for bass

fishing tips

fish

Photo

Pickwick Is On Fire!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#31 bankerbasser

bankerbasser

I Love Smallmouth Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted February 27 2012 - 07:58 PM

There is no substitute for time on the water and I also need much more. I've tried the topwater striper fishing below the dam a couple of times with no luck. Our local bass club has at least one tournament a year on Pickwick, usually during the spring. The best luck I've had has been fishing jerkbaits on creek and main lake points as well as Redeye shads in the creek flats.
Are you fishing the Big Fish tournament out of JP Coleman on March 31 ? I fished it last year and it was a lot of fun. The format is pretty neat and there are multiple ways to win cash. I'm probably going this Saturday below the dam again, hoping for similar results or just one big fish ! My biggest smallmouth is 4 lbs 9 oz caught on a Spook in the fall of 2010. I caught 2 that were almost that big Saturday, but nothing bigger. Good luck on the water !
BTW would you happen to know Steve or Wes Hoggard ? They used to own the John Deere small implement dealership in Olive Branch. I went to college with Steve at UT Martin in the mid 80's.

#32 jisrael83

jisrael83

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted February 27 2012 - 09:34 PM

My experience with the striper topwater bite has been a crap shoot, but when they are on, it can be awesome!

I thought about fishing the tourney, but it had for me to commit to something like fishing that far out. I have little ones at home.

I'm planning on going this weekend, but I may put in at JP Coleman instead of below the dam. Did you catch bait or buy it the last time when you did so well below the dam? I might wet myslef if I tied into a 5llb smallie. The largest one I've caught is in my profile pick. I didn't weigh it, but it measured 18". It looks smaller in that picture. That may have something to do the fact that I'm 6'6".

Hoggard sounds familiar. I'm a native Memphian, but have only been in OB for 2 1/2 years. Seeing your from Brownsville... I did play Junior Olympic Basketball against Tony Delk when I was in high school around '91. He was a rock star!

#33 bankerbasser

bankerbasser

I Love Smallmouth Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted February 27 2012 - 09:58 PM

The only striper Ive caught was one about 8 lbs one day last fall below the dam in a creek mouth on a jerkbait. I thought I had a world record smallmouth ! On that day I caught a 4 lb smallmouth, 2 lb spotted bass, 4 lb largemouth and that striper.

I bought bait at Roger Gants BP station. The first time I went back in January, one of my bass club buddies (my chief financial officer !) and I went. Roadwarrior told me to get 2 pounds of the largest minnows they had. Neither one of us had bought that many minnows before, but we followed instructions ! Since we were in my boat my buddy bought the bait and snacks. We met Roadwarrior at the ramp as he was fishing with someone else and got the scoop on what to do. We didn't have a good day due to weather, fish bite, not knowing what we were doing, etc. but we stuck with it. After a long spell of no fish I asked my buddy how much the bait cost. He said well, everything cost $54.23 ! Long story short, minnows are $14 per pound so you want to make them stretch a long way. We bought 2 lbs on Saturday and had 5 or 6 left when we quit around 3.

Tony was definitely a rock star ! Watching him play in high school was fun, but watching him win the National Championship at Kentucky and getting MVP of the tournament was really special. He has taken care of his family, especially his parents.

#34 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,525 posts

Posted March 13 2012 - 10:11 AM

Started out with The Rig which produced two largemouth (3-4 lbs)
and a small striper (13-14 lbs). My two partners were fishing similar
Rigs, three white bass and one largemouth just over 5 lbs.

We moved down river and I switched to a jerbait (Ito Vision 110),
my partners opted for Red Eye Shad. My second cast produced a 7 lb
green fish, my partner's big fish was 5 and change.

Around 2:00 the TVA reduced water release and the bite stopped completely.
We fished for two more hours without a strike.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.

#35 Pete-K

Pete-K

I Love Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 03:04 PM

Started out with The Rig which produced two largemouth (3-4 lbs)
and a small striper (13-14 lbs). My two partners were fishing similar
Rigs, three white bass and one largemouth just over 5 lbs.

We moved down river and I switched to a jerbait (Ito Vision 110),
my partners opted for Red Eye Shad. My second cast produced a 7 lb
green fish, my partner's big fish was 5 and change.

Around 2:00 the TVA reduced water release and the bite stopped completely.
We fished for two more hours without a strike.

Were you fishing Monday? See 3 other boats that day, I had a buddy from Middle Tn. We were catching catfish for a fishfry. Caught 6 blues that would weight around 65 lbs and took off back to fishing for browns. Only 3 smallmouth and they were around 3 lbs each.
Pete

#36 roadwarrior

roadwarrior

From a human perspective, they're like Twinkies.

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,525 posts

Posted March 14 2012 - 07:55 PM

Fished Saturday, not Monday.

Please read the Forum FAQs

Join us: fishing-tips-fishing-knots-facebook.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-twitter.gif fishing-tips-fishing-knots-youtube.gif gplus-32.png

Become a member for FREE!

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Note that you can report content and alert moderators by pressing the "Report" link when viewing the content.