Clash City Rocker

Snap Swivels?

I've been told that attaching lures to your line with snap swivels has a negative impact on lure action, but it seems like a big time saver what do you guys think? Is there a significant impact on lure action?

No I don't think there is but you are adding another link which can fail. I had some come open on homemade Arigs last week. I lost the fish and the bait so be sure to get good ones that lock well.

A snap yes, but a snap swivel...no. A snap is a lot less bulky than a snap swivel which to me could effect your catching. I only use a snap swivel for spoons and inline spinners. A snap i will use for cranks, jerks, etc.

Never use a snap/swivel in freshwater bass fishing..chest deep @ 2:00 am ocean surf casting for 30+# striped bass..,yes,but when i'm LMB fishing,i want the least amount of hardware i can get away with.

Will it make your catch ratio decrease? probably not,just not for me.never needed it and i can tie a good knot quick enough to never consider it. i know some rigs like the carolina rig use a swivel/bead,but its far enough away from the bait as to not have any effect on the target bait.

I'm sure many will disagree,but i just don't ever see the need for it in the conditions/locations i fish.

If you tie the right knots and do them well swivels are no need and you wont loose your bait. Also swivels can mess up the movement of your lure also to make it look bad and may cost ya the bass you want.

In the clear waters I normally fish in, anything other than a knot to attach the lure will cost you. I have also fished in Minnesota for Bass where Pike were present, and the bright silver leader didnt cause any problems at all. Both types of fish tore it up. Short answer is, try it and see. I know thats not what you wanted to hear, but its the truth.

Snap yes, swivel no. Duo-locks see time on basically all of my cranks, jerks, and hard topwaters. I pull off any split rings that come in the lure before using them with a snap.

Snap yes, swivel no. Duo-locks see time on basically all of my cranks, jerks, and hard topwaters. I pull off any split rings that come in the lure before using them with a snap.

Sounds good. I think I'll go this route.

I think snap swivels are a bit bulky and I prefer a duolock for freshwater fishing. The real truth is, they do not impair the movement of the lure at all and I see no negative to them, except what;s rattling around in your head. As POPRG says, no problem with them in saltwater, I see guys catching very big fish using the cheapest Walmart snap swivels without failure.

As forum members, whether it be bass, trout, stripers, offshore or whatever, we look at ourselves as being a cut above the average fisherman and try to emulate the professionals and I am no different. I personally think the real reality is that it makes less difference than we think.

To me the key with snaps is they MUST be the locking kind. Duolock are the most popular but there are others.

I use Norman speed locks. Do a seach here for them I think someone posted a picture a while back or go to bps site.

The only problem with those is if you have fat fingers they're harder to open.

Mike