clayton86

Fenwick Elite Smallmouth

I'v been looking for a new drop shot rod/ do all wading rod. Iv got it narrowed down to 2 rods both are the fenwick elite smallmouth rods. However I cant decide which one im torn between either the 6'9MLF or the 7'4" MF. Its gonna be a drop shot and finesse presentation rod im thinking most likely have 6# flouro on it. As ww2farmer pointed out in another thread we have alot of cover the fish cant get us into in our area and its true i cant think of hardly any open water spots i fish they all have timber or some thing for cover. For that reason im thinking maybe the 7'4" little more rod and power there to fight em out but will it still be sensitive enough to handle a dropshot or shakeyhead? I did find a killer deal on ebay for brand new combo set its a Pflueger Supreme 8230MG / Fenwick Elite Tech Rod 6'9" ESMS69ML-F Custom Combo for 159.

How is the power on the 6'9" MLF

Is the 7'4" to much rod for these applications.

im probably gonna use it for all of this Dropshot, Shakey head, soft jerk baits, light jigs, light soft plastics, smaller hard jerkbaits

I'v been looking for a new drop shot rod/ do all wading rod. Iv got it narrowed down to 2 rods both are the fenwick elite smallmouth rods. However I cant decide which one im torn between either the 6'9MLF or the 7'4" MF. Its gonna be a drop shot and finesse presentation rod im thinking most likely have 6# flouro on it. As ww2farmer pointed out in another thread we have alot of cover the fish cant get us into in our area and its true i cant think of hardly any open water spots i fish they all have timber or some thing for cover. For that reason im thinking maybe the 7'4" little more rod and power there to fight em out but will it still be sensitive enough to handle a dropshot or shakeyhead? I did find a killer deal on ebay for brand new combo set its a Pflueger Supreme 8230MG / Fenwick Elite Tech Rod 6'9" ESMS69ML-F Custom Combo for 159.

How is the power on the 6'9" MLF

Is the 7'4" to much rod for these applications.

im probably gonna use it for all of this Dropshot, Shakey head, soft jerk baits, light jigs, light soft plastics, smaller hard jerkbaits

I myself am looking into these rods I have heard great things about the smallmouth series. If you get one let me know how it is. Oh if there is another combo on ebay like you mentioned im interested thats a steal rods go for 150.00 in my neck of the woods and thats the cheapest I can find them.

I myself am looking into these rods I have heard great things about the smallmouth series. If you get one let me know how it is. Oh if there is another combo on ebay like you mentioned im interested thats a steal rods go for 150.00 in my neck of the woods and thats the cheapest I can find them.

its from an ebay store front they say theres 4 available but even just the rod on there goes for 99 some at the normal 129

I don't usually like "combo" deals they often are mismatched but this is a good rod and reel both at a decent price. The reel by itself goes for around $75. I haven't handled the Fenwick rod but in general I like the ML/F for a smallie creek rod. I have no trouble getting fish turned and away from the wood. If they're getting buried in the thick weeds a little more power can be good though.

The 7'4" is what Fenwick call the great lakes rod, it is intended for deep water presentations and if you are fishing a lot of cover you may need something you can get a little more accuracy with. For what you want to do with it is pretty much the same as I do with my rod and I have the 6'9" M-XF, it is great working with small baits but has a ton of backbone and if you're fishing cover that is what you want, the ML may not have the backbone you want but for a ML rod it is pretty stout. I use mine for shaky heads, small soft jerkbaits like River Rock Baits 4" Jointed jerkbait or the Super Fluke Jr., the extra fast action makes working those baits a snap, all it takes is a slight twitch of the rod to make the baits dart and dive. In the early spring I use it for #5 shad raps, they are the only cranks I throw with a spinning rod but it throws them so well you think it was meant for it. The 7'4" is a lot of rod so it may be too much and you would have to check the ML out to decide if it is too light but for me the medium is awesome, super light weight and great action and the versatility to fish finesse jigs in cover or shaky heads in deep water, it does it all.

its from an ebay store front they say theres 4 available but even just the rod on there goes for 99 some at the normal 129

I searched ebay and I came up with rods but no combos like you mentioned.

Well if its there when I get of in 7hr im jumping on it. Thanks for the link. Wow what a deal. Is the supreme as good as the president?

Dude - that's is a Really good Deal !

A-Jay

Dude - that's is a Really good Deal !

A-Jay

yup hopefully it will be there in the 15th......d**n bills gotta wait till my next paycheck but all the bills are paid off at least then that leaves a whole paycheck at my new pay grade to buy fishing stuff! lol no no im responsible I have a limit.

Well if its there when I get of in 7hr im jumping on it. Thanks for the link. Wow what a deal. Is the supreme as good as the president?

The supreme is a higher quality (and higher price) reel on the pflueger totem poll. Great reel with a magnesium body.

Mike D

Well I pulled the trigger on this I really wanted to try one of those fenwick rods. Now the waiting game thanks for all that chimed I was not to familiar with Phlueger reels I just recently realized Shimano is not the only company that makes reels. I find my self enjoying others quite a bit. Once again thank you to the OP that gave me this link I do hope you grab one up.

Im hoping to wife's putting up some defense but i'll get one eventually lol im very stubborn

Im hoping to wife's putting up some defense but i'll get one eventually lol im very stubborn

I have been fighting for new setup since 2 months ago trick is you have to start early and wear them down . I dont know if this rod will work for shakey heads or not but I hope so I have never felt one of these fenwicks before I have read they are a little bit stiffer than others so we will see. i got the MLF 6ft9.I am not sure what else it would be good for I am planing on 6lb yozuri hybird for this setup .

I have been fighting for new setup since 2 months ago trick is you have to start early and wear them down . I dont know if this rod will work for shakey heads or not but I hope so I have never felt one of these fenwicks before I have read they are a little bit stiffer than others so we will see. i got the MLF 6ft9.I am not sure what else it would be good for I am planing on 6lb yozuri hybird for this setup .

The rod you got will work great for shaky heads and drop shots, it will also for for tubes and small jigs but you need to understand it is a ML but since you already plan to go with 6# line you already know that. So use whatever you normally would use with 6# line and you will be fine but shaky heads and drop shots will be fantastic on that rod. Warning, after using it you will want another, I was going to get just the spinning rod and after I used it for a bit I wanted to try a casting rod and now I'm on my 3rd, so be careful, you may like them as much as I do.

The rod you got will work great for shaky heads and drop shots, it will also for for tubes and small jigs but you need to understand it is a ML but since you already plan to go with 6# line you already know that. So use whatever you normally would use with 6# line and you will be fine but shaky heads and drop shots will be fantastic on that rod. Warning, after using it you will want another, I was going to get just the spinning rod and after I used it for a bit I wanted to try a casting rod and now I'm on my 3rd, so be careful, you may like them as much as I do.

Well my first plan was to buy a casting rod. Then I saw this deal and it just won me over. I hope I do love it the next rod will be either fenwick smallmouth series or bps carbonlight. I am just glad that drop shop and shaky heads will work that makes my day...I can not wait this was a smoking deal..