Sign in to follow this  
prjavelin

What Rod/reel Combo For My Style?

It seems like im always a catching fish with spinnerbait. right now im using a medium light rod with a daiwa spinning reel. the combination works if im looking to fish crankbaits or worms but im always using spinnerbaits because that is whats catching me fish. I have being eyeing baitcasters for a while. I want one.

So far ive read that a good setup for Sbaits would be a Medium heavy rod at 7 feet(im looking at a one piece between 6'7-7'0) with an extra fast action and a baitcaster with a 7.1:1 ratio.

Things to consider:

I Have to carry it in a car to fish from shore

My budget is 200 with shipping included

it should be a good all-around setup as i only carry two setups

mainly for spinnerbaits though

1. 7-foot medium heavy fast tip graphite one piece spinning rod. Any brand will do.

2. 2500 size spinning reel. Any brand will do. Don't go lower or higher on the size. Check out the Shimano 2500's to see the sizes and try to match them with other lower cost brands.

3. Balance your reel with the rod by matching the rod's specifications for line test and bait weight with the reel and line.

3. Go with the highest pound floruocarbon line the reel's specs allow.

4. Always bring a second reel with you in case your first reel breaks or gets too twisted.

5. Always run your line when spooling the spinning reel through KVD's Lure and Line Conditioner or pure silicone.

6. When you get line twist do the following: WITH THE BAIL CLOSED, loosen the bail and pull the line off the spinning reel. Then, running the line through your fingers, respool the reel. Bring some KVD or silicone spray with you to help relax the line. Remember, NEVER OPEN THE BAIL to remove any twisted line off a spinning reel.

I am sure the guys will add to this list but it is a starter.

Don't be too concerned about brand or price. A Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's 7-foot medium heavy fast tip spinning rod will do great along with a spinning reel that you like and can afford.

Let us know what you selected, too.

1. 7-foot medium heavy fast tip graphite one piece spinning rod. Any brand will do.

2. 2500 size spinning reel. Any brand will do. Don't go lower or higher on the size. Check out the Shimano 2500's to see the sizes and try to match them with other lower cost brands.

3. Balance your reel with the rod by matching the rod's specifications for line test and bait weight with the reel and line.

3. Go with the highest pound floruocarbon line the reel's specs allow.

4. Always bring a second reel with you in case your first reel breaks or gets too twisted.

5. Always run your line when spooling the spinning reel through KVD's Lure and Line Conditioner or pure silicone.

6. When you get line twist do the following: WITH THE BAIL CLOSED, loosen the bail and pull the line off the spinning reel. Then, running the line through your fingers, respool the reel. Bring some KVD or silicone spray with you to help relax the line. Remember, NEVER OPEN THE BAIL to remove any twisted line off a spinning reel.

I am sure the guys will add to this list but it is a starter.

Don't be too concerned about brand or price. A Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's 7-foot medium heavy fast tip spinning rod will do great along with a spinning reel that you like and can afford.

Let us know what you selected, too.

You are one wise man.

Not really, Kyle. Just giving some of the information I have learned through the years to you guys and getting information back from everyone.

And PR, as for the baitcasting setup, once again go with a 7-foot medium heavy fast action tip graphite rod and a comfortable low profile reel.

Be sure to look at the line test parameters on the baitcaster to make sure it has the line test you would like to throw and balance the line test of the reel with that of the rod.

JUST DO IT!!!!!

what about gear ratios ? 6.3:1 , 6.5:1 ?? 7:1?

7:1 is the fastest and you can reel in your line very fast. Good for fishing weeds and grasses when you need to get the fish back to the boat ASAP and if you want to burn the baits back to you fast.

The 6:3 is the standard. You can reel it slow or fast. If you need to retreive the bait or fish fast this ratio can tire you out. Otherwise, it is a good selection for a variety of baits.

The 7:1's are expensive. You have a much larger selection of the 6:3's.

Would not suggest anything lower than a 6:3:1 ratio.

Do you have a few favorite pros? Check their web sites and read what they suggest, omitting the brands they are hawking. Also go to the different manufacturers' web pages or Tackle Warehouse and read what they say about their reels and which ratios they suggest for which techniques. Just remember that the pros receive the equipment free or at a good discount so they can say to purchase X reel which can cost over $300.

Your selection of the reel ratios is based on the type of fishing you do.

You have to start your collection of rods and reels sooner or later and it is fun to research and then select and use the various rods and reels that are on the market. As you get more proficient with any one technique or enjoy fishing a few techniques you can then laser down to the exact rods and reels you enjoy using.

Don't drive yourself nuts over the combo. I have gone bonkers many times trying to figure it out and now I know what I prefer and what works on the waters I fish.

The Bait Monkey awaits to embrace you!!!

Are you only considering spinning rods, or are baitcasters an option too?

Sam's advice is sound, but I'm not sure I agree with the "Go with the highest pound floruocarbon line the reel's specs allow" comment. In my experience, 2500-sized spinning reels don't handle fluoro above 8lb test too well. Putting 10 or 12lb fluoro on a spinning reel is asking for trouble, in my opinion. If you are only considering spinning reels for this application, I'd recommend braid instead.

On the baitcasting front, look for a 6'6" - 7', M or MH rod with a 6.3 speed baitcaster. For $200, the Basspro combos are pretty good.

Specifically:

Buy these on our Flea Market:

Citicia ~ $80

St, Croix Avid AVC 70MF or MHF ~ $125

i think i havent been clear on this, the setup i want WILL be a baitcaster mainly for spinnerbaits but may be used for other types hence my desire for the setup to be versatile. It will also be my first baitcaster.

i got:

Abu Garcia Veritas 7 foot MH Fast action rod

Daiwa Laguna 6.3:1 right hand reel.

I think its a decent setup but in the future i want another rod for another purpose with that reel and a revo S for this veritas rod.

What do you guys think about this set up i bought?