(='_'=)

What Is This Fuel Line For??

yesterday i was replacing the fuel lines on my motor... it is a johnson, 85HP, from around 1977.... the motor runs good, when it is cold it takes a while to start but then i will start with the turn of the key the rest of the day....

anyways, i found this cancelled line and i dont know what it is for... do you have any idea where it goes to and where does it comes from??

SAM_1252.jpg

SAM_1254.jpg

I need you to trace it back to where the other end is attached, maybe we can figure out why it was cancelled.

i tried... however i couldnt see where it comes from... i had both carbs out when i took the pic, but to trace it better i would have to take the motor appart but from the rear side, which i have never done.... hopefully someone will recognize it, if not, i will have to begin removing bolts....

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

that´s what i was thinking, however, if it is there originally it was for a reason.. then someone cancelled it, so basically, something is "broken".... thats why im hoping to find what is the purpose of that line, and then evaluate if it is worth the trouble to enable it again....

When you had the engine running did you notice a small stream of water coming from the lower engine case?

When you had the engine running did you notice a small stream of water coming from the lower engine case?

Exactly what I was thinking.

i havent noticed that... but i never looked carefully or anything... where should i look to see that stream of water?? and if i see it, what does that means?

They're talking about the "P" stream, it's an indicator that your water pump is functioning properly. When the motor is started cold the water pump supplies water pressure to the engine block, as the engine warms (same as a car engine) a thermostat opens allowing water to circulate through the engine block, it then exits via a hose from the engine block to the motor cowling (usually in the rear of the motor), it appears as a "P" stream that drops to the water surface; when the engine is hot (operating temp.) steam can be seen coming off of the "P" stream.

We can't tell from your photo what the fitting at the end of the hose is connected to, we can see the hose clamp, and then some kind of a fitting.

Have you changed out the water pump impeller yet? If not, do it while you have the motor off the boat. Also, does your motor have a temp gage anywhere?

thanx!!

i havent changed the impeller, but when i installed the new lower unit i took a look at the impeller and it seemed to be OK... i would change it if i could get one locally, i think ill do a list of all the things i need and order online, and then i will have to make a trip to the US to pick them up....

and i have never notices steam or a stream... i have heard that if water was coming out two holes behind the motor, then the impeller was working properly... and, water is coming out with the motor

running...

and what can be seen at the end of the hose, is not a fitting, is just a piece of wood they used to seal it, and then secured with the hose clamp....

thanx!!