Sign in to follow this  
Teh

Pickwick Landing

We are planning a weekend trip to the state park 8/3-8/5. What are some good areas to fish? I am mainly interested in smallmouth. LM make up most of the population in my local area so I'm excited to have a good shot at some decent smallmouth. I have a 14' Mad River canoe. Would the canoe be 'safe' on that water? I have only used it in rivers and small ponds in my area. I see you can rent a boat there as well.

This is my first time going to this lake so any tips would be appreciated. I will have the wife and little ones with me, so any bluegill/panfish hot spots in a safe area for the kiddo's would be nice to know as well. I like bank fishing if there are good spots for that.

Thanks!!!!

I personally would not go out on pickwick in a canoe. You will be ok if you put in at the state park and stay around the marina and the state park cove. but do not get out on the main lake, the boat traffic will eat you alive. your small mouth catch will be limited there but ive seen some big largemouth come out of it. and as far as renting a boat goes, yes you can but only pontoons i think. aqua yacht harbor has boat rentals if your looking for a place to rent one.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into that place. Sounds like leaving the canoe at home would be best.

You could fish the creeks in Kayaks without any trouble.

There are two coves at the State Park that you can fish with a canoe. Yellow Creek has some protected water,

especially around the ramp area just across from the Shell station. Get a map and you will see a number of

candidates to choose from. However, DO NOT get on the main lake.

Agree with others DO NOT get out on main lake in canoe

Thanks everyone. Hows the fishing in those coves? What do you guys have the most luck with in the August heat? I like topwater and any sort of soft plastic, with Lizards and Tubes being my favorites.