greatone1210

First Day Out With A Baitcaster

Bought myself a brand-new Shimano Caius and St. Croix Triumph 7'0 Medium Fast with 12 lb PLine yesterday since almost everyone on here uses one and recommends one. Here are a few thoughts.

1. Using a baitcaster is NOT as scary or hard as some make it out to be. I watched videos on youtube and checked out the forums and articles to make sure I was well prepared to set the reel up. I had no problems with it whatsoever.

2. I only had probably three moderate backlashes during twelve hours fishing from shore today. I was able to pinpoint my casts where I wanted and cast about 20-25 yards most of the day.

3. Baitcasting does not work well for light baits. This stinks because I get less tired using a BC.

4. However, right hand is a bit sore from the pressure put on it while casting sidearm. Holding rod too tight perhaps.

5. Quemahoning Rsv in Somerset, Pa is good but I really need a kayak to fish from so I can catch more bass.

6. I need to work more on lure selection and how to fish them and when.

7. I must figure out how to cast a bit further with the BC. I may need to drop my line to a 10 lb and while my reel is very nice, it only has 3 + 1 bearings and is not very smooth. I bought this one because it was the only lefty in my price range ( I can right hand and retrieve left hand).

8. The one smallmouth I caught had some mighty sharp teeth. Ouch.

Overall a productive day.

DU

Fry i grew up in Somerset, I gotta get back there to fish one day. i just switched to baitcaster, and i say the same thing. every time i use mine i can cast further and further, just takes practice. get a crankbait on it and i can get it out there a good bit. good luck!

Practice, practice, practice! Once you get it down you don't even have to think about it when you casts, your body just does what it needs to do to keep you from backlashing, but even the best will get one once in awhile so don't get discouraged when you do get a bad one.

Good choice to use Shimano ;). Also, for light baits you need a reel like the Curaddo 50.

Defimitly backup what LMG said a 3/16 spinnerbait is no problem with a Curado 201E. Something like a small PopR is no problem either. In fact I am going to go throw a few PopR's right now.

Mike

Wife is from Indiana, PA and I have been to Somerset, too. We went shopping and had a great time.

Regarding your baitcaster, you are doing great. Here are a few questions and comments that I want you to answer for us.

1. Do you know how to "balance" the baitcaster with the rod's specifications regarding line test and bait weight?

2. Do you use the "11 o'clock drop" method to eliminate backlashes?

3. Do you cast as far as you can and pull one or two arm lengths of line off the spool and then place Scotch tape or electrical tape over the remaining line on the spool?

4. 12 pound flourocarbon line is a good selection to start your baitcasting. The rule I have been taught is mono for treble hook baits and flouro for all other baits. Some pros use flouro for all baits on a baitcaster so it is personal preference. You will also need to consider braid in the future.

5. Did you treat your line with Kevin VanDam's Lure and Line Conditioner when spooling the line on the reel?

6. What knot are you tieing. Palamor is very popular but try the Trilene knot.

7. As posted above, practice, practice and practice.

8. When you are more confident with the baitcaster, buy up to a Curado or a Revo or other higher quality reel. You may also buy up to a higher "graphite" rod. I-9's are out but they are expensive.

9. Please add your geographical location to your avatar so we will know where you are which will help us give you better advice.

10. Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you with us.

1. Using a baitcaster is NOT as scary or hard as some make it out to be. I watched videos on youtube and checked out the forums and articles to make sure I was well prepared to set the reel up. I had no problems with it whatsoever.

Some get scared away because they approach it like spinning/spincasting where you use max effort to get the lure out there. You need to have patience and subtlety with a BC reel. Smooth easy casting will get the job done. Usually when you try to force a cast is when you get the overrun. As Bluebasser86 say practice and you get the balance in finesse/power to cast farther than a spinning setup.

3. Baitcasting does not work well for light baits. This stinks because I get less tired using a BC.

The exception is light baits. BC need a lure with some weight behind them. Master the heavier stuff before you attempt throwing a finesse setup like weightless plastics. But I do recommend getting a BC reel that is designed to throw finesse baits. They usually have a better spool designed to do this. Bassresource has a nice vid on finessing with some good pointers.

4. However, right hand is a bit sore from the pressure put on it while casting sidearm. Holding rod too tight perhaps.

As you use different muscles, it may hurt some. As you get better at it, You'll learn to load the rod which should make it less painful. As you go you will relax more. Just make sure your not doing something wrong(Without watching you cast, I can't be to specific). Look at some of the vid's on youtube.

7. I must figure out how to cast a bit further with the BC. I may need to drop my line to a 10 lb and while my reel is very nice, it only has 3 + 1 bearings and is not very smooth. I bought this one because it was the only lefty in my price range ( I can right hand and retrieve left hand).

That will come in time, Just dont force things. Dropping a couple a pound test will only give you a few feet more in distance. You should get more distance as you progress.

I'll second what sam said in #8. Upgrade to something better once you confident a BC is for you! They more expensive reels are more refined in general. You'll probably get more distance as well.

Congratulations. I will say that I think you are the exception that proves the rule. :) Most people switching from a spinning reel to a baitcasting reel have some problems. Especially with accuracy because the timing is different. You must have very good hand-eye coordination. I know it wasn't as easy as 1-2-3 for me.

How light of a lure are you talking about? My Curado 51E does 3/16 oz. with ease. Based on my experience with this weight, I feel 1/8 shouldn't be much of a problem. If you have been researching, then you know there are baitcasting reels designed strictly for finesse fishing.. Price of entry is not cheap. Although not a finesse reel, I've read of several people throwing some pretty light weights with customized Fuegos. A used Fuego and the necessary upgrades should still have you below the price of a true finesse designed reel. The Sol is another reel that can be made to throw light lures well. Or try a 50 size Shimano. :)

The first time i used my quantum BC tour edition I didnt backlash at all. Was out for about three hrs. The next day was windy and was a different story...lol. Not all BC'S are created equal. Great skills follow quality training...good luck!

these guys talked me into baitcasters a while ago too, now it is almost all I use.

also, Zultan.

-gk

Thanks for all the comments and welcoming atmosphere.

Sam: I am assuming that many of your questions are rhetorical. And I appreciate that more than you know because it pushes me in the right direction of becoming a better bass fisherman. If by "balance" you mean use my setup with appropriate line weight and lure weight, then yes I am following recommendations as listed on rod and reel. Regarding knots, I use a palomar and improved cinch frequently. I will investigate the trilene knot.

New2BC4Bass: While I may be the exception to the rule it is only because of the advice on this forum and pouring over videos. In my job, I must learn something quickly and put it to use even faster. Please don't take it as arrogance. You can teach a monkey to use a baitcaster but you can't teach him all about lure selection, technique, and so on. I have a lot of work to do before I will consider myself even a semi-average fisherman.

In general, I will be purchasing a new BC for next year. I cannot really afford a whole new combo but I am fairly please with my St. Croix Triumph 7'0 Medium Fast. It seems to be a fairly competent "do it all" rod. But a better reel would be fantastic. But right now, and over the winter, my main concern is learning more basics. I will be learning more about bass themselves, picking where to fish, knot tying, and lure selection/use.

Thanks again to everyone!

for the reel you are getting next year, i would recommend a shimano curado 201e7 if you can still find one. i got mine off of ebay brand new for 140$. also, watch out for those smallmouth, they do have mighty sharp teeth. and by the way, i am not a "shimano guy" i just like the curado.

Get some Kevin VanDam Line & Lure Conditioner to help cast a little farther and reduce the number backlashes/possible backlashes.