Sign in to follow this  
hendrix190

Calcutta 400B Question

Hi, i just bought a brand new calcutta 400B for throwing swimbaits. Today i brought it fishing and it rained, like pouring rain for hours. I guess i had the reel on the deck on my boat upside down, and when i picked it up alot of water came out of 2 tiny holes in the bottom of the reel. If you look at the reel from the bottom, there is a hole directly on the bottom of each side plate. I guess alot of water got in there. My question is, is there any danger in water getting in the reel like that and either rusting the internal components or washing away grease and oil? And if so how do you allowed water gettin in there exspecially when you rinse this reel off?/ thanx

Those are drain holes for that very reason. I'd take reasonable precautions to avoid filling the reel with water but some incidental contact isn't the end of the world. Rinse, wipe down and lay out to dray after use and do regular (annual or more if used heavily) cleaning and lube.

2X on what DVT said!

If it just rain or fresh water, I would not worry about it. Just let it drip out. I use the calcutta TE100GT and Conquest 100 on saltwater and wash then with water from the faucet, I would see water drip out from those holes after washing.

I've used mine all day fishing for muskie in downpours and I just do what DVT said, take it apart and let it dry out real good and it should be good to go.