jhoffman

92 Evinrude 25 Two Stroke Dies At Idle Then Wont Start

Ok guys, I need some help as I am baffled.

The motor runs first and foremost, it starts and runs when its cold. If I push the throttle forward by using the "hot start" button then it pee's fine.

What my delema is... When its sitting at idle it doesnt pee when hooked up to the hose, more throttle it pee's fine. After sitting at idle and not peeing I believe its overheating because it shuts down and then the starter wont even crank over. I can hear the solenoid click but thats it. Looking at it with the cover off. I can see the drive assembly of the starter doesnt even attempt to go up and catch the flywheel. If it sits for awhile and cools back down... whamo it fires right back up.

Im not sure where to begin here, is it an impeller issue, is it a thermostat issue, is it a starter issue? Any help would be awesome. I just acquired this motor and I dont have a manual yet but its becoming apparent I need one asap.

If it helps at all the model is the E25ELENS

No water from pee hole at idle I would think the impeller is worn and no water is circulating. Speed it up and the impeller moves faster then all the water does not bypass. I would replace the water pump.

Thats what I am thinking too, thanks!

The old lady is jacked. She thinks I bought a junk motor. I had to explain to her that motors need maintence and not everyone is smart enough to keep up with it. Shes used to when a car has a problem youre thousands in the hole. No idea a water pump kit is $35 and would end this issue. Ugh... city women.

The very first thing I do on any used motor I buy is replace the water pump. Three years is about the max I will run a water pump. The second is to check and clean the fuel system, and rebuild the carbs.

For your problem, it's very common for a motor running on a hose not to spray water out the pee hole at idle. If you really want to see how the water pump is working, it needs to be in a tank. The idle problem you are having could just be caused by the fact you are running it on a hose so do not try to adjust anything, like idle speed or mixture while on it, a hose does not put the back pressure on it that being the proper depth in water does, so everything is screwed up.

Now, as for the water pump fixing your problem, I seriously doubt it. I would replace it, but I think you are going to find you still have problems after you do.

Inspect the water pump housing carefully. If the area where the impeller spins is scored or worn in any way, replace it too. A new impeller will not make a tight seal if the area in which it spins is damaged. Not only will it not seal properly, it will wear out sooner.

I did the impeller kit over the weeked and its running much better however i am still convinced it could use the carb rebuilt which wont happen till spring at the earliest.

The impeller had never been replaced. Motor is a 92 there was no sign of a wrench ever on it. Fins were cracked and Im surprised not blown apart. The housing was scorched from the impeller.

I also believe I have a loose neutral or worn out neutral switch. When it fails to start if you rock the control forward and back a time or two it will crank right over.