moguy1973

New Jitterbugs Sinking?

I used to love using Jitterbugs when I was a kid and they just plain caught fish early in the morning and late in the evening. I somewhere have lost my older Jitterbugs along the way so I thought I would pick up a few at Wally a couple weeks ago in Arbogasts Triple Threat pack which has a black 2.5" Jitterbug, a frog colored 2.5" Jitterbug, and a white/black Hula Popper. I went to use the black Jitterbug the other day and cast it into the water and watched it disappear, not because a fish hit it, but because it started sinking in the water. Because of this, it's action was seriously hindered and it just kind of plowed through the water until it got to the surface about 15' in front of me. It definitely didn't have the nice side to side walking action the earlier models of Jitterbugs had that I used as a kid.

The frog colored one actually doesn't sink, but it really doesn't float much either and it sits rather low on the surface. Again, this makes it a lot harder to use than the old Jitterbugs I had as a kid. It does have the walking action to it, but I have to reel it extremely slow or it dives under the surface and the blade causes it to shoot off to the side as it digs into the water. It's caught me a few fish when I do retrieve it slowly, but I know it's not supposed to work like it does.

Any thoughts? Has Arbogast's quality slipped over the years? Different materials used?

I have sent a message to Arbogast to ask them the same questions, so hopefully they respond with what's going on.

I have not noticed any "slippage" of jitterbugs, that is one of my favorite topwater baits. I dont know why the lure would act in the manor it did that you explained. The last time I purchased a jitterbug was probably 1 month ago( purchased 3 black ) and they have been used every fishing trip since which is atleast once a week... I'm curious if this defect was caused by a possible shipment malfunction or some problem of that sort. Maybe they are using different material from when you were growing up but since I was using them I haven't came across a problem or difference in maneuverability produced by this bait. My dad who introduced me to fishing at a young age aswell as the jitterbug has been using this lure since he was a young fisherman aswell. He has not mentioned any differnce at all in this bait...

Curious about Arbogast's responses... Again, I haven't recognized a problem and I hope you find out what the problem from your experience was.

Could be you just got some bad ones. I have bought a couple SK Bitsy Minnows that sink they are suppose to float.

Must've gotten a dodgy batch? My jitterbug is new(like last year) and floats fine.

Yikes! I'd call them. I think I was in grade school when I bought my first. Still love them.

This may seem like a silly question but is it possible you may have accidentally tied the Jitterbug on a rod using fluorocarbon line? Fluoro would probably cause the nose to be down and result in the digging action, though I don't think it would lead to a Jitterbug sinking.

Count it down and try to catch suspended fish.

i picked up a few the other day and both seem to be floating just fine. I don't think forcing you to work them slow is a bad thing as i always tend to better the slower i work them.

Does sound like you got a bum jitterbug though.

Must've gotten a dodgy batch? My jitterbug is new(like last year) and floats fine.

X2 I just picked one up this spring and mine works as advertised.

Send them back and get some new working ones hopefully

They sent me an email and told me to send them the malfunctioning baits and they will send me new ones.

It's not the line because the black one sinks in a cup of water.