Sign in to follow this  
thehooligan

Quantum Smoke Rod Reviews

Since these are on sale right now at TW, i was checking out the 6'3 medium and medium light spinning models. Has anyone handled these ? I searched and didnt find any information on those models. Wanted a little crankbait/topwater rod that could handle up to 1/2-5/8 oz cranks. Could anyone help me out, none of my local stores have these two in stock, thanks.

I bought a Quantum Smoke 7' MH Micro Guide rod this past Spring. I've primarily used that for crankin' and swim jigs. My first impression was that this is a very stiff rod, even through the tip, which I did not expect for a fast action. The features I cannot stop raving about are its incredible lightweight and sensitivity. I've felt things on the retrieve I hadn't felt before with any of my other rods. This is all while using 50lb braid! Sorry I can't speak to the spinning rod you're interested in, but it's made with the same HSX70 high-strain, million modulus graphite, so I would assume the sensitivity is just as great!

Good luck!

I bought a Quantum Smoke 7' MH Micro Guide rod this past Spring. I've primarily used that for crankin' and swim jigs. My first impression was that this is a very stiff rod, even through the tip, which I did not expect for a fast action. The features I cannot stop raving about are its incredible lightweight and sensitivity. I've felt things on the retrieve I hadn't felt before with any of my other rods. This is all while using 50lb braid! Sorry I can't speak to the spinning rod you're interested in, but it's made with the same HSX70 high-strain, million modulus graphite, so I would assume the sensitivity is just as great!

Good luck!

Thanks, are they stiff like the veritas rods are ? I notice with them i go down a power because i think there too stiff at what there rated.

Thanks, are they stiff like the veritas rods are ? I notice with them i go down a power because i think there too stiff at what there rated.

I cannot speak for the Veritas, haven't tried it yet. I can find a good use for the power and action for which I'm happy, yet if I bought another knowing what I know, I would either buy down a power for my intended use or up an action level...which, in this case would have put me at extra fast, which I believe was another $20.00. So if the spinning rods run similar, I think you have a good idea in buying a power down. I faced the same problem as you in that I couldn't find any retailer with the rod to hold it and test it myself.

I bought a medium action 7' microguide Smoke casting rod this last year when I picked up my Smoke reel. Just decided to try the combo out. It is a very LIGHT combo. So far I have used it as a spinnerbait rod and it's worked out very well. I have caught bass up to a bit better than 4lb's on it and the rod works well, gives when it has to and is very sensitive. I can feel those blades turning so I can keep the speed exactly where I want it, any small piece of grass I hit I can feel so I can rip the bait and let it die. Compared to a veritas a smoke rod is a work of art. However; there are much better rods out there than the smoke too. It just depends upon what you want to spend and what you are using it for. I have one veritas MH and it's.....meh...not bad...not impressive.

Downside for you is the stiffness that works for my application will not work for yours. I would caution you against using it as a crankbait rod. I have not looked at the spinning rods and would expect them to be inherently softer than the baitcasters but you want at minimum a medium speed tip or you will rip those little trebles right out of your fish.

• Like 1

I bought a medium action 7' microguide Smoke casting rod this last year when I picked up my Smoke reel. Just decided to try the combo out. It is a very LIGHT combo. So far I have used it as a spinnerbait rod and it's worked out very well. I have caught bass up to a bit better than 4lb's on it and the rod works well, gives when it has to and is very sensitive. I can feel those blades turning so I can keep the speed exactly where I want it, any small piece of grass I hit I can feel so I can rip the bait and let it die. Compared to a veritas a smoke rod is a work of art. However; there are much better rods out there than the smoke too. It just depends upon what you want to spend and what you are using it for. I have one veritas MH and it's.....meh...not bad...not impressive.

Downside for you is the stiffness that works for my application will not work for yours. I would caution you against using it as a crankbait rod. I have not looked at the spinning rods and would expect them to be inherently softer than the baitcasters but you want at minimum a medium speed tip or you will rip those little trebles right out of your fish.

Thanks for the info, they have a 6'3 medium light with moderate tip.... wish i could get my hands on one to try it out.

I looked-up the lure rating on the spinning Smoke rods and looks like none will work with 1/2-5/8. The ML is Moderate action rated only 1/4-3/16 while the Med Fast is 1/8 to 1/4. I dont know why the big difference between casting spinning. My Smoke Med Fast casting is good to 3/4oz and handles that fine like a daredevil spoon.

So though I like my Smoke VERY much dont think it will suit your needs going by the lure ratings.

Dang...$90 with free shipping at TW. Glad this topic came up. I'm getting the 6'6" spinning right now.

For that price this rod is a no-brainer. No other sub $100 rod out there that compares. At the original $150 I paid for the one I have there are other options that are equally nice.

I think a better word to describe the action is crisp not stiff. The rod does flex well but recovers quickly. I agree with your veritas comparision. I had the 7' Micro MF veritas for all of 2 days then returned it. Now that is stiff no bend it seemed like to me. Two guides were bent some I tried to straighten one and the epoxy cracked. But just from fishing side by side the little bit I did the Smoke was more sensitive, lighter(3.4oz) and the balance with a 5.9oz reel is very good.

I think a better word to describe the action is crisp not stiff. The rod does flex well but recovers quickly. I agree with your veritas comparision. I had the 7' Micro MF veritas for all of 2 days then returned it. Now that is stiff no bend it seemed like to me. Two guides were bent some I tried to straighten one and the epoxy cracked. But just from fishing side by side the little bit I did the Smoke was more sensitive, lighter(3.4oz) and the balance with a 5.9oz reel is very good.

I will agree with you. Your assessment of the action as crisp is a considerably better definition than I used.

Im half tempted to pull the trigger on the medium light and just see how it feels. I wonder where TW gets there lure weights from, quantum doesnt even have them listed on there website...

I think the closest rod to compare it to is the Shimano crucials, same light weight and crisp action all the way to the tip. I think you will find it a great rod for the money. Match it with a nice light reel and it will be a pleasure to fish with.

Im half tempted to pull the trigger on the medium light and just see how it feels. I wonder where TW gets there lure weights from, quantum doesnt even have them listed on there website...

If you do get it, post a quick report. I'm interested in the same rod, as well as one of the Cumaras for sale.

If you do get it, post a quick report. I'm interested in the same rod, as well as one of the Cumaras for sale.

Im gonna pass on it, money is tight, and i do have my 6'3 fenwick smallie rod that takes care of biz.

I don't have the spinning rod, but just today ordered the Smoke PT Micro Guide SKC665F casting rod , 6'6" MEDIUM action, fast tip. I held a lot of rods in my hand today, putting a Daiwa Pixy that I brought with me. That one seemed the lightest and most sensitive of all of them. I was looking at G. Loomis also. Found it for $117 shipped to my door.

Seemed to have just the right action for such as a weightless 4inch wacky worm( I actually strung it up and cast it a couple of times at Bass Pro.)