Sign in to follow this  
bassandcats

Looking For Rod Suggestions

Im looking to get two different setups:

1) Finesse spinning rod for wacky rig senkos, weightless trick worms, flukes, shakey heads,etc... Have been looking at Field and stream tec spec 6'10" mxf and the powell diesel 6'10mxf.. any other recommendations around that price range? are those the right actions and powers i should be looking at?

2)Flipping/pitching rod.. i fish kerr lake/buggs island alot and when the water level rises drastically in the spring, it submerges bushes, trees, etc. everywhere. Im looking for a rod for throwing lizards, jigs, creatures, etc. in there during the spring. No idea on rod length, power,etc. Dont have any flipping or pitching rods. Trying to stay right around 100, preferably lower since it will be primarily used just during spring

Thanks.

Take a look at the Denali Jadewood series of rods. I honestly don't think you will find a better rod for the money and they come with a Limited Lifetime Warranty. The 7' MH Shakey Head rod ($99) would probably fit the bill for your finesse needs. As far as the flipping/pitching rod, take a look at either the 7' MH or H Worm/Jig Rod ($99) or the 7'6" Flipping Rod ($119). I also fish Kerr in the spring. Many times, I'm doing more pitching than actual flipping in the bushes. A 7' MH or H rod will accomplish both and can also be used for other techniques such as texas rigging. If you want a dedicated rod for just doing that, I'd probably go with the 7'6".

Im looking to get two different setups:

1) Finesse spinning rod for wacky rig senkos, weightless trick worms, flukes, shakey heads,etc... Have been looking at Field and stream tec spec 6'10" mxf and the powell diesel 6'10mxf.. any other recommendations around that price range? are those the right actions and powers i should be looking at?

2)Flipping/pitching rod.. i fish kerr lake/buggs island alot and when the water level rises drastically in the spring, it submerges bushes, trees, etc. everywhere. Im looking for a rod for throwing lizards, jigs, creatures, etc. in there during the spring. No idea on rod length, power,etc. Dont have any flipping or pitching rods. Trying to stay right around 100, preferably lower since it will be primarily used just during spring

Thanks.

1.) For a finesse rod I would look for a used avid 6'8 MXF. Might be able to find one around $100 and it would be great. Also, if you could snag a Fenwick Elite Tech Smallmouth in MXF it would be a great spinning setup as well. Go spinning for finesse fishing, especially since you are trying to keep costs down. I would not go MH for the applications you listed. MXF should serve you well. ANd yes MXF is the right action and power in my opinion.

2.) Flipping and pitching rod under $100 you say. You already mentioned the powell diesel. They have a great one for $70. Also a 7'6'' MH veritas would work well. I would get one of those two. People worship the Veritas on here so you might want to try that out. Either way don't pay more than $80 for the Veritas.

Powell Diesel would be the casting version 765cef "765CEF - Measuring 7'6" long, this is the longest rod in the Diesel lineup. The added length and muscular 5-power rating makes this an ideal rod for flipping, pitching, punching in thick cover, as well as, doubling as a nice swimbait stick."

On black friday this rod will go for 20% off`making it a $54 rod I believe. Nice deal.

I use a St Croix Mojo 6'8" M/XF. I am a St Croix fan, so of coarse I am going to say I love it. This rod see's the most use flick shaking, shakey heads, and small soft and hard jerkbaits. It's light at 3.9 oz's, plenty of sensitivity, and well made. But like most Croix's, it's a tad tip heavy, but I have a 9 oz. Shimano Sonora 2500 size spinning reel on it, and it balances it out very nice. I use 10lb braid on this rod with 8 or 10 lb fluorocarbon leaders. That rod is $100 so IDK if that fits your spinning rod budget, the 2 you mentioned were less. I have been impressed with some of Shimano's latest spinning rods, just from handling in the store, not from real use, so take that FWIW. The Sellus seems like a decent rod for $60, and so do the Convergance and Clarus, those all sell for less than $100 and have Shimano's unbeatable over the counter life time warranty (I think, maybe only there higher end stuff does IDK for sure)

As for the pitching rod, both rods I use for pitching are above what your looking to spend. But again don't over look the Shimano's they "seem" like nice rods, and as a St Croix fan I can think of a lot worse rods for your $100 than a Mojo. 7' MH/Fast is what I use (Avid and LTB) but alot of that is personal preferance. Some guys like longer rods, some like shorter. Some like fast action, some XF, some Mod fast.

As for the pitching rod, both rods I use for pitching are above what your looking to spend. But again don't over look the Shimano's they "seem" like nice rods, and as a St Croix fan I can think of a lot worse rods for your $100 than a Mojo. 7' MH/Fast is what I use (Avid and LTB) but alot of that is personal preferance. Some guys like longer rods, some like shorter. Some like fast action, some XF, some Mod fast.

If you're looking for a MH/Fast, the St. Croix bargain room has an 6'6" LTB for $120. I know it is above your budget, but it is a great deal. WW2, can you comment specifically on that rod?

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Im definatly going to look around for a deal so i can get the best possible rod for my money. Also thanks for the suggestion on the pitching rod doubling as a trig because im also thinking about getting a new trig rod but now i could spend a little more on one rod if its going to double.

If you're looking for a MH/Fast, the St. Croix bargain room has an 6'6" LTB for $120. I know it is above your budget, but it is a great deal. WW2, can you comment specifically on that rod?

No, the three LTB's I have are the 7' M/F , 7' MH/F. and the 7'10" H/Mod crankbait rod.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Im definatly going to look around for a deal so i can get the best possible rod for my money. Also thanks for the suggestion on the pitching rod doubling as a trig because im also thinking about getting a new trig rod but now i could spend a little more on one rod if its going to double.

I think to get the best deals your best bet is to get a used rod or buy rods on closeout. I've bought a few rods used and got a lot nicer rod for the money I dished out than if I spent it on something new.

I own a Diesel 765 and it's a fantastic flipping stick. I also just so happen to have a Diesel 6'10 Spinning rod sitting in front of me as part of some give away rods for my club's banquet. If my number is called I'm grabbing it! It's balances great with a 2500 sized Shimano and I can only assume that the sensitivity will be as good as my 765.

All that being said the Mojo 6'8" mxf is a really special rod (any St. Croix 6'8"mxf is).

Probably 15% off. You need to call in to get the deal on excluded items.