alexczarn

Rod Questions(Help Wanted For A Newbie To Bass Fishing)

Well, I am coming to visit the USA in a few months time, I was wondering, I have some rods I use here in Australia, and wondering how they would cope with bass/bream/crappie/catfish, as that'd be what I would be targeting. I'm going to the South, doing my fishing in AL/GA.

(I'd also be doing some surf fishing, but that's beside the point, as I have plenty of experience with that, and I assume it'd be very similar.)

Anyway, the baitcaster rod I have, is an Okuma Taurino 7ft 3-5kg(6-10lb for you Americans), I've used it to throw 1/4 oz to 1/2 oz spinnerbaits, no problem, but would that be too light for general LCB/spinnerbait/swimbaits fishing for bass? Would a Daiwa Aird MH 10-20LB baitcast rod be better? This'd be with a Daiwa Laguna baitcaster with 20lb braid.

Also, I have a Shimano 6ft10 2-4kg spinning rod, which I can use with either a 1000size(4lb braid) or 2500 size reel(6lb braid), for weights from 1/16th to 1/4th of an ounce, would that be too light a rod, for say, grubbing/minnow lures/crankbaits? It would suit crappie/panfish well though, wouldn't it?

Or would a 2-5kg/3-6kg spinning rod be better with 10lb braid?

(Would any of these rods suit catfish fishing?) Otherwise I can always use my surf outfit for catfish, Shimano Sedona 4000 with 30lb braid on a Shimano Dynamix 9ft 5-10KG rod...

As I'm flying from Australia, with my fishing gear, I'd be able to only take, max 3 rods.

Looking for your thoughts guys, very open for advice, suggestions, thanks a whole lot! (As you can see, I solely use braid.)

Rods: 6'10 to 7-foot medium heavy with fast action tip.

Spinning Reels: 2500 Maximumin size.

Hooks: 2/0.

Line: 8 to 10 pound flourocarbon or copolymar.

Catfish: Bring your heavy rods and reels.

Hooks: Circle or Octopuss Hooks.

Line: 25 pound flouro.

Other Things: Needle Nose Pliers. Sissors.

Have fun.

For enthusiasts, technique specific gear is fun

to collect. However, three rigs cover all the

basics:

#1 6 1/2' or 7' MH baitcaster for jigs, some

soft plastics and spinnerbaits

#2 6 1/2' or 7' MM baitcaster for treble hook

lures

#3 7' MF spinning rod for lighter lures and a

variety of techniques

IMO either baitcast set up u described will be fine, I use a medium powered rod a lot for small worms, jigs and spinnerbaits. I believe your surf rods should serve well for cats. Of the spinning tackle u described the lighter of the two will serve u well for crappie. How long will u be in the states?

You should be able to get by fine with what you have especially starting out. When you get a feel for the fish and cover in your area you can fine tune if you feel the need.

One of the surf outfits is closer to what most use to target big cats.

IMO either baitcast set up u described will be fine, I use a medium powered rod a lot for small worms, jigs and spinnerbaits. I believe your surf rods should serve well for cats. Of the spinning tackle u described the lighter of the two will serve u well for crappie. How long will u be in the states?

Ah cheers thanks, a couple of months.