Sign in to follow this  
basslover12345

Fall Rates

How fast do these jig heads fall, how many feet per second for each size? Fall rates for 1/16, 3/32, 3/16, 1/32 ounce jig heads

Depends on what bait is on those jig heads, and what size and type of line your using. Water density also plays a role, colder water is less dense so lighter weight baits will sink faster in colder water than they will in warm water too. There are no answers to your questions that you can't figure out for yourself. Tie one on, cast it out, and count how long it takes to sink.

I count down every bait to the bottom regardless of what it is. Then I reduce that count progressively, until I find the fish. With jigs, you want to mostly fish on the bottom; here it's a matter of what they prefer for the fall rate. This usually is a matter of feeding mood, positive, negative or neutral. Every day you have to experiment with that.

Find a big bucket, and a stopwatch, and count the sink rates after rigging trailers, skirts etc. Nerd info: In vacuum, they all will have identical sink rates.

Line diameter and line type; FC, hybrid, mono and braid all have different sink rate based on how much line is on the water. Braid and mono both tend to float and act like a float slowing the lighter jig sink rate a lot.

The line diameter also affects the sink rate,the lighter jigs, everything under 1/8 you are more than likely using line less than 8 lb test. FC line sinks fastest, hybrid is next with mono and braid being slower, everything else being equal. If you have a swimming pool near you, test the fall there, most pools have the depth marked; ,3', 4', 6', 8'. Just use your own count like 1 one hundred, 2 one hundred etc, then you can use the same counting method when fishing.

Contrary to popular belief 50% of the jig strike occur on the fall! So learn to watch your line where it enters the water and makes a V as it sinks. The V is your strike indicator, when it stops or moves to one side a bass has the jig in it's mouth,. Your line may jump slack when it hits bottom or when a bass stopped it. If you know the sink rate, you should know when to set the hook.....it takes a lot of time on the water before all these factors become second nature and you instinctively "know" the difference between the jig hitting bottom and a bass strike. Just remember swings are free and hook setting is the best teacher.

Good luck.

Tom

If i remember my chemistry right, water does get more dense until about 4 C. Then it begins to form into a crystalline structure, which is less dense and is why ice floats.

I take chemistry roght now Bassr95 has it right

All good advice as there are lots of variables involved in sink rate. The only thing I will disagree with is water gets denser as it gets colder which is part of the reason ice floats.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-density-specific-weight-d_595.html

Fresh water gets denser until it reaches 39.4 degrees F, then it gets lighter and floats on top until it freezes at 32. How much cold water affects fall rate is marginal, unless it's frozen!

Tom