alexczarn

Aird 2000 Or 2500?

Question, is the Aird 2000 or 2500 better, I want to spool it with 10lb Spiderwire Stealth(favourite) and use it for general freshwater fishing, matched with a 2-4kg 7ft Pflueger Trion rod.(I don't think y'all would know of it. It's a ML rod.)

I had 2 Aird 2500's and really like them. The Aird's come with a standard spool and deep spool. The 2500 will come with a 3000 spool so you can go with heavier line or more of your 10 lb Spiderwire. Plus the 2500 has more drag pressure then the 2000.

• Like 1

I was thinking the 2500 because of the extra drag, but y'all are saying the drag on a 2000 is sufficient? (I'd run 8lb if it was a 2000)

If the commitment is for an Aird the 2500 size would be my consideration, the slightly heavier reel may balance better on a 7' rod. I have a combo, other brands with a 8.8 oz reel on a 7' med and it's one of the nicest feeling combos I have. The 2500 has 2 x the drag, not that you are going to batten down all the way, but better to have than not, there is also a significant difference in ipt, both reels have ample line capacity for most freshwater fishing. Never using it I can't comment on performance.

Looking at the website I see the rod is a light not ml, if it were me I would pair the 2000 reel with the rod you mentioned, but for a more general purpose outfit my hands down choice would be the PFLT med rod with the 2500 reel, 10 or 15# braid. Visually speaking the rod has a nice look to it and I like the foregrip on that split handle model.

If the commitment is for an Aird the 2500 size would be my consideration, the slightly heavier reel may balance better on a 7' rod. I have a combo, other brands with a 8.8 oz reel on a 7' med and it's one of the nicest feeling combos I have. The 2500 has 2 x the drag, not that you are going to batten down all the way, but better to have than not, there is also a significant difference in ipt, both reels have ample line capacity for most freshwater fishing. Never using it I can't comment on performance.

Looking at the website I see the rod is a light not ml, if it were me I would pair the 2000 reel with the rod you mentioned, but for a more general purpose outfit my hands down choice would be the PFLT med rod with the 2500 reel, 10 or 15# braid. Visually speaking the rod has a nice look to it and I like the foregrip on that split handle model.

A 2000 on the Light would handle trout+bass, etc?

A 2000 on the Light would handle trout+bass, etc?

Sure it would, but a big bass out of heavy cover may be more than just a challenge. The 2500 on the med rod is only a step up in size, still not a heavy outfit. Nothing wrong with the lighter set up if it were just another combo in your arsenal, but for 1 general purpose outfit I'd be using the next step up.

Sure it would, but a big bass out of heavy cover may be more than just a challenge. The 2500 on the med rod is only a step up in size, still not a heavy outfit. Nothing wrong with the lighter set up if it were just another combo in your arsenal, but for 1 general purpose outfit I'd be using the next step up.

Okay...thank you for that advice.

Something to consider... Right now Cabelas has their Shimano Sahara 2500FD's for sale, 44.99. Excellent deal in my opinion. I have a couple of the Saharas and for bang for the buck they are pretty darn nice.

My vote would be for the 2000 series. Excess drag power is overrated. You can even handle bass and trout with 1500 series Daiwa, if you're using superline. The larger diameter of the 2500 series is well suited for difficult lines like fluoro or copoly.

Here's a 5# smallie I caught from cover using a 1500 size reel spooled with 15# Power Pro.

DSCN0157-L.jpg

Likewise, a 4+ smallie using an even smaller and lighter 1000 series Shimano, spooled with 6# Silverthread (it's in the lower right of the frame):

20100524-P_Smallie-02-L.jpg

Since we're also talking trout, a nice little brown on a similarly sized $20 Quantum with Berkley Fireline Fused:

222407041_yDzou-L.jpg

I agree with francho, my two go to reels are a stradic fj1000 and daiwa fuego 1000a, both have 10lb power pro and have brought 5-6lb bass in without a problem.