Jump to content
MIbassin

Is Quick Dip Lure Dye And Jig Finish Toxic??

Recommended Posts

Title says it all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toxic as in if you drink it? I dont think I would try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harmful if swallowed or splashed into the eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, besides the fact that it smells toxic, its not toxic unless ingested?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I accidentally put it on my fingernail and it started to disintegrate. No not really. If it's anything like Spike-It blade dip, I use it for blades and stuff and other than the fact that it stains badly if spilled, there is no harm using it. Have at it and just make sure to keep it covered. If you need to clean it off your hands, acetone will work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the exact name is quick coat lure dip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of that stuff.  I'd try to contact the manufacturer directly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do you guys know of any Non toxic lure dye that i wouldn't have to wear a mask for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
do you guys know of any Non toxic lure dye that i wouldn't have to wear a mask for?

Is there something you are alergic to. The reason I ask is that all the blade dips have no smell, so you can use these in your house with no problem. What are you trying to accomplish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well i don't have an allergy, but i want to make sure i am not hurting my lungs when using the dye.

 

ps i am using it to dye silicon skirts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All I can say is get MSDS sheets from the manufacturer. I went and opened up the Spike-It it actually does have a scent to it. Naturally I wouldn't stick my nose in there and keep inhaling it. You have to do what is best for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The dyes are solvent based but it's designed for casual use by fishermen so I seriously doubt you have anything to worry about if you use the product as intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For your skirt dying, what do you guys use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As tholmes suggested, contact CS Coatings with the link he provided.

 

Last year I emailed a question about the durability of their Lure Dip and Seal Coat as a finish (over metal, which is what the Lure Dip is formulated to be used on) and received a helpful response a couple of days later. 

 

Regarding liquid finishes in general, we should be concerned about their toxicity and, specifically, inhaling their fumes. I fish in Massachusetts which last year banned the use of lead in jigs and weights weighing less than 1 ounce in inland waters. I switched to a bismuth/tin alloy which melts at 281 degrees F. For years I had been finishing with CS Vinyl Paint and will continue to use it since there's no risk of melting my finished jigs as there would be while heat curing powder paint.

 

The important point I want to make is that with vinyl and possibly other liquid finishes you should be using a proper mask such as the 3M with filter cartridges for organic vapor and also evacuate the fumes from your work area.I don't know if OSHA would approve, but a simple box fan is quite effective.

 

Mask-1-1.jpg

 

Fan-LastShot-1.jpg

 

If you're in your boat dipping the tail of your plastic bait chartreuse, no worry. Painting indoors, be safe and take the above precautions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, i think i will get a mask

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But are there any lure dyes where the fumes are not toxic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just get some JJ'S Magic. No mask required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, i think i will get a mask

While I personally would not worry about it, I will say this. If you do choose to get a mask, make sure you get a legitimate respirator with filters that are rated for the toxins/airborne particles that are in the dye (consult the MSDS like recommended earlier.) The dust mask type will most likely do more harm than good, as they will let some particles in but not out when you exhale. There are numerous cases of people wearing these while using aerosol paints and being poisoned because of a high buildup of toxins inside the mask.

Get this type and make sure the filters are rated for whatever is in the dye. Oh, and if you have a beard no mask will seal completely.

post-41215-0-84362300-1360120593_thumb.j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×