Sign in to follow this  
webertime

Which Has The Least Stretch (Cxx Vs Yzh Vs Mccoy Copoly)

I'm looking at these 3 lines for topwaters and occasionally jerkbaits. I've narrowed it down to these 3 only. If you have used the 8-10lb size of at least 2 of these let me know your thoughts and compare them. Thanks folks!

I've used CXX and McCoy. Now I have to tell you up front that P-Line is the only line I use for all my copoly and fluoro needs. I use CXX 10# for 90% of my treble hook lure fishing. Square bills, deep divers, poppers, sammies it works great for me with all these lures. I should also say I don't really fish jerk baits that much but I don't see why this line wouldn't also fish these baits well.

I like CXX because of it's strength and minimal (in my opinion of course) stretch. It does tend to have a good bit of memory but it doesn't really bother me all that much. The McCoy I tried was fine, it did seem to me to have a little more stretch though.   

The best way for you to reduce stretch with any monofilament (single filament ) is to increase the line diameter, otherwise the % difference in stretch between brands is minimal. There are only a handful of line extruders in the world, the various labels relate to proprietary additives for individual brands.

Top water lures work better with mono that tends to float in the 12 to 15 lb range or larger. Jerk baits may run a little deeper with smaller diameter FC line, still the 12 to 15 lb is a common size for jerk baits.

If you use 10 lb line and it starts to stretch at 3 lbs of pulling force, the difference between brands is in ounces.

If you use 15 lb line and it starts to stretch at 5 lbs, you gain 2 lbs before it stretches.

One reason reels should be set with a drag tension that = 1/3 rd the line pound test is to prevent line stretch.

Super braids have very little stretch at 50% of pound test rating, if low stretch line is the goal.

There are a few line stretch test on the Internet if you search for it.

Tom

• Like 2

To me, CXX has lots of memory and I don't really like its 'greasy' surface, which doesn't cast as far for me.  But it's very strong.  I've used and like McCoy's Mean Green because it has very little memory and handles well - but it does have more stretch.  I'd much rather use McCoy's in cold weather.  I've never broken either line.  That said, I like Izorline XXX and Premium better than either.  I bought a spool of YZH recently and am trying it out.  So far, I like it OK but it's too soon to comment. 

The best way for you to reduce stretch with any monofilament (single filament ) is to increase the line diameter, otherwise the % difference in stretch between brands is minimal. There are only a handful of line extruders in the world, the various labels relate to proprietary additives for individual brands.

Top water lures work better with mono that tends to float in the 12 to 15 lb range or larger. Jerk baits may run a little deeper with smaller diameter FC line, still the 12 to 15 lb is a common size for jerk baits.

If you use 10 lb line and it starts to stretch at 3 lbs of pulling force, the difference between brands is in ounces.

If you use 15 lb line and it starts to stretch at 5 lbs, you gain 2 lbs before it stretches.

One reason reels should be set with a drag tension that = 1/3 rd the line pound test is to prevent line stretch.

Super braids have very little stretch at 50% of pound test rating, if low stretch line is the goal.

There are a few line stretch test on the Internet if you search for it.

Tom

Thanks Tom I love your posts.  I totally get what you are saying here.  I went and checked the diameters of 8/10/12lb of the 3 respective lines.  McCoy and YZH are the same (.011/.012/.013")  CXX is much larger at (.012/.014/.0148").  IE 10lb CXX is larger than 12lb YZH/McC.  Hmm gonna have to research this one a bit more, but I think I may go CXX.

Been using CXX for years now. Tried some others, no reason to change what works fine for me.

IMO, mccoy has way more stretch than cxx.  Last year i tried mccoy mean green to find a line similar to cxx with less memory and i literally hated it.  Went back to CXX and never looked back.  I suggest you do the same :)