Sign in to follow this  
Felix77

Drop Shot For Stained To Murky Water

Has anyone tried fishing a drop shot in water that is stained to murky water with any success?  Visibility of less than a foot.

I would suspect that bulkier baits, dark water colors (black, junebug, etc.) would work but thought I would get feedback from the group.

Thanks

If i have water like to that and i know that fish are holding, im searching with a spinner bait, lipless crank, or a crankbait. Once we pin point em, ill throw any kinda soft plstic or a jig as long as it moves a little water

I would save the drop shot for a clear water situation

• Like 1

Same as Teal, it wouldn't be my first choice for those conditions. If you feel the need to drop shot muddy water, though, you do have the right idea. Go big, and go dark. 

• Like 1

I've always thought of a drop shot as a "finesse" type presentation.

It's one I use mostly in a clear water situation where the bite might be tough or the fish are a bit spooky - or worst case scenario - both.

There are a few less than common times when a beefed up drop shot is a good choice when you want to keep your bait suspended and out of any bottom weed, slime or other goop. This is usually in a sparse to medium cover situation and I do not use an open hook rig here though.

Water color / clarity with this presentation plays less of a role on the tackle choice.

A-Jay

Felix the reason i take my approach is that when water is realy stained or murkey a bass vision is impaired, kinda like us when we are trying to drive when there is a low lying fog. This a good time to try to catch them.

I want a lure that does two things. First i want a lure that i quickly cover some water. And i want a lure that with cause vibration in the water, this makes it easier for them to track even tho it not easy for them to see that my lure is not the real thing. For me, these conditions are where "power fishermen" can thrive. That is if the fish are somewhat active and said area is holding fish.

Back in june, after a week of rain here, this approach with a war eagle spinner bait and a 12inch power worm put a quick limit in boat...

• Like 2

Not the best presentation for those conditions IMHO. If you know where fish are holding and can hit them in the face with it, it could get bit, never say never. But any time I am faced with stained, or dirty water I honestly don't even have a drop shot rod on the deck, it's tied on........heck it's always tied on,but usually that rod is in the locker, and I will be pitching and flipping baits that are more productive for me in dirty water like jigs, or creature baits, or covering water with stuff like crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

• Like 2

Sure you can drop shot in shallower water.   I do it frequently.  You might want to "bubba up" your rig.  I frequently use a flipping stick and 20 lb abrazax fluorocarbon.  You might want to shorten your drop weight to less than a foot.  You might want to use a heavily scented bait, I have decent luck using Gulp baits in dingy water.  I use the Gamakatsu wicked wacky hooks in 2/0 or 3/0 or 4/0 and I seldom get hook hung.