Sign in to follow this  
dave

Trailer Wheel Bearing Grease

BPS has a three tube pack of Quicksilver for $26.  

They also have a three pack of Green Grease for $10.

Is $16 more for Quicksilver worth it?

Are they both marine? One might be made for regular trailers. You can go get marine grease at walmart for $3 a tube. Its what I run in mine.

Both marine.  $3 is good too know.

For 10 years I have been running Napa brand general purpose automotive wheel bearing grease. We get it by the truck load at work, and use it on all our semi's, farm equipment, etc....I have had no problems with it. Never used any "marine" or "waterproof" labeled grease, and you can't convince me that I would have had any better results had I done so. In fact, we had a submersible pump that the manufacture recommended "waterproof" grease for, we greased it with the right amount when we should have, and were constantly having bearings fail in it. Quit putting that in, and just used "regular" grease, and bearing problems went from almost weekly, to.................well we have not had to change them in 3 years since switching. Take that FWIW. That pump runs in pretty harsh conditions too, not just water, but in liquid cow manure as well............good enough to keep a 250 HP pump running trouble free........good enough for my trailer wheel bearings.

I've towed a boat, horses, and ATV's for over 30 years. I've used all manner of different greases. I will say that I have used waterproof grease on the boat trailer almost exclusively though and it was almost always salt water use. Although I have never had a bearing fail, I don't credit the grease so much but the regular maintenance. Servicing the wheels was drummed into my head by my dad and it has paid off. I pull the boat trailer wheels and repack at the end of each season. This gives me a chance to get a good look at the bearing and races and replace the failing ones before something happens and there's never any possibility of water in the hub left to freeze. Bearing Buddies are not foolproof. I also check for wheel play every couple of months when I'm towing. It's a chore sometimes, but my fishing time is too valuable.