Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
WDinarte

I Love Fishing, I Love The River But I Hate Poison Ivy

Recommended Posts

I had my first encounter with the " bad herb " the Poison Ivy, I know for some of you guys this not an issue because you guys have some water craft, but fishing from the river bank soon or later you will see the " letter V, three leaves " and for Me is not fun, My alergic reaction is bad to this plant and always is ending with a visit  to the doctor office. I have had one this week.

Any old tips and tricks other that run away on this herb ?... I heard that some hikers drink some medicine before the trip to the woods, and some others the poison Ivy is not an issue at all... BUT for Me it is a BIG issue.

Any tips and tricks to share ?... ( yeah, I know. BUY a boat )

Thanks guys.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The oil that the plant produces is what you have an allergic reaction too, why not wear pants and or tall boots?  I know summers wont be fun but neither is a visit to the doctor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The oil that the plant produces is what you have an allergic reaction too, why not wear pants and or tall boots?  I know summers wont be fun but neither is a visit to the doctor.

Yeah, I will have... one or the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im the same as you man if i get into it i have to go to the doctor sucks doesnt it!

 

wear long pants and long shirt (white preferably) and make sure you try not to use your hands on your face if at all possible and if you even think you might have touched some during the day when you go home take a long shower and wash your body with dish washing soap (dawn is what i use cause we use it for dishes) and use cold or cool water not warm or else it get washed into pores

 

the poison sits on top of your skin it doesnt soak into your skin and the bubbles that form are body fluid not the poison and the poison is hard to remove from the skin but lots and lots of water will remove it and the dish soap will help the water even more...also if you know you touched some make sure you wash your rods and such cause the oil will sit on them and youll get it again without going near the plant

 

if you know you touched some and the water you are fishing is pretty clean rinse off the part that touched it really well where you are fishing and i mean really well cause again the oil is hard to remove

 

also dont count on this but anyone who is allergic to it can become not allergic to it at any time and also the other way around if you arent allergic to it you could become allergic and it switches fast...i have to play in it a lot at work so when you get it every week and have to see the doctor every week you learn real fast how to work it haha...sometimes i get it then the next week i can play in it and not be allergic 

 

sorry last point lol there is another plant called virginia creeper it has 5 leaves and has the same type of poison so be careful of that too...here is a pic of virginia creeper

 

va-creeper.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wild parsnip sucks also if you ever brush up on that crap tromping around...big 3rd degree burn type blisters, horrible stuff...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

 there is another plant called virginia creeper it has 5 leaves and has the same type of poison so be careful of that too...here is a pic of virginia creeper

 

va-creeper.jpeg

 Not way, what ttttt ?  man, this is fun... I didn't know on that plant.

Thanks, great tips and good information... last time I didn't know that I have run over any poison, unless that was the virginia plant.

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wild parsnip sucks also if you ever brush up on that crap tromping around...big 3rd degree burn type blisters, horrible stuff...

 

Will have to check on that, I hope we don't have any here in VA.

 

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy this stuff called ivy block.. its a lotion you can rub onto your skin to form sort of a barrier to the oils. I used it one summer when I had to work a lot in the woods and didn't have much problem. If you can stand it wear pants and be sure to wash your clothes as soon as you get home to prevent reoccurring reactions to oils still on clothes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah sucks lol or you could bring some goats with you...poison ivy is high in nutrients and goats arent allergic to it and its one of their favorite foods hahaha

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate ivy.  Poison Oak or Sumac is worse in my opinion.  It is painful!!!!  Best fix other than avoiding it is to see the Dr.  Get some Prednisone.

 

I have also found that there must be different strands of poision Ivy.  I have no reaction to it in some parts of the country and in others it is horrible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

crookedneck you could be like i am...i get it and then sometimes i can touch it with no problems...you can become allergic to it and not allergic very fast and the other way around

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy this stuff called ivy block.. its a lotion you can rub onto your skin to form sort of a barrier to the oils. I used it one summer when I had to work a lot in the woods and didn't have much problem. If you can stand it wear pants and be sure to wash your clothes as soon as you get home to prevent reoccurring reactions to oils still on clothes.

 

Will try that,

The only concern that I have now is with the shoes, I was reading on how to clean ( wash ) these too.

Thanks,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah sucks lol or you could bring some goats with you...poison ivy is high in nutrients and goats arent allergic to it and its one of their favorite foods hahaha

 

LOL

I was reading that it is "deer's food " too, but I don't know how come they didn't finish it. :laugh5: 

 

 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found some info, on poison Ivy.

Have to be wash / clean on the first 10 minutes and could take to 3 weeks to clear. It is real poison this herb.

 

http://youtu.be/nqKfltowxL0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×