Sign in to follow this  
*Hootie

Old Lews Speed Spool

Thought you guys might like to see this.

Notice who made them.

Hootie

I used to own two of them. I sold them in 1981 and kick myself everyday for getting rid of them.  What did I buy, the new version, BB1N.  Still have them. By the way Hootie, when the first Bantams came out for about 48 bucks, I would wear one out per steelhead season but nothing could outcast them. Rosewood grips.  They were hot.

I have one of these. But the part where the guide runs along gets caught up. Not sure what's it's called sorry. Maybe I'll post it in the flea market soon Didn't know there might be a market for this old thing. Lol

I have several old Lew's BB1's.....in just about new condition.  They are now sitting in boxes in the closet as I started trying the upper level reels. 

However, these reels are fantastic casters......especially with crankbaits.  Seem to feel the crank much better than other reels.

I recognized the old Bantam profile immediately. I sold one to a guy to use as a crankbait reel. The idea being that the mechanical A/R's little slack would help from pulling the bait away too soon. This theory is floated by one of the old time BASS champs, I forget which one.

I recognized the old Bantam profile immediately. I sold one to a guy to use as a crankbait reel. The idea being that the mechanical A/R's little slack would help from pulling the bait away too soon. This theory is floated by one of the old time BASS champs, I forget which one.

I believe it is David Fritts.  The BB1 was a Shimano then production of the reel moved to Ryobi and it became the BB1N.

I used to own two of them. I sold them in 1981 and kick myself everyday for getting rid of them. What did I buy, the new version, BB1N. Still have them. By the way Hootie, when the first Bantams came out for about 48 bucks, I would wear one out per steelhead season but nothing could outcast them. Rosewood grips. They were hot.

You mean like this one. This is from my own collection.

Bought it new around 1980.

Hootie

That's the one Hootie.  If I recall, Shimano was the first to come out with a lefty, the Bantam 201.  When I worked retail sales, we had a special Thanksgiving ad and had the 201 for 48.88 and I sold 60 the first day. Do you remember when BPS had a catalog that consisted of about 12 to 14 pages and the Batam in your thumbnail was on sale for 39.99 ?

That's the one Hootie. If I recall, Shimano was the first to come out with a lefty, the Bantam 201. When I worked retail sales, we had a special Thanksgiving ad and had the 201 for 48.88 and I sold 60 the first day. Do you remember when BPS had a catalog that consisted of about 12 to 14 pages and the Batam in your thumbnail was on sale for 39.99 ?

I will check tomorrow. I believe I have THAT very catalog. I have BPS catalogs and fliers dating back to 1978. Do you remember when B.A.S.S. had their own catalog and tackle supply called " The Outhouse"? I also have their catalogs. Guess I'm just a hoarder....lol

Hootie