Sign in to follow this  
CDMeyer

Jig Help

I have always been just a shoreline Texas Rig angler.... and although I am catching them pretty good I want to widen my skills.  So have invested in some jigs but every time I use them I seem to get more weeds than Texas rigging and most importantly no fish.... so I have very little faith in them.  I need just a general run down of how to jig fish.  being the lake I fish in very shallow can I still fish the same spots I do with Texas rig because I know fish are there?

We have a couple of threads featured at the top of this section.

There are hundreds more!

Most importantly being your fishing a shallow lake is to use a light jig. 1/4 - 3/8 ounce jig. Nice low profile trailer such as a Zoom Ultra Vibe Speed Craw or Berkley Chigger Craw 3". I would even scale down to 20# Braid w/ a 12-15lb fluorocarbon leader. Now since this is a Jig you want to pitch it low into the cover of your choice, and try not to make a lot of commotion on the cast. Let it sit for a few seconds, then just give it a little shake. If nothing hits it then start a 1, 1 2, short hopping method. Check out this video. Don't know if you've ever checked out Glenn, but the man can teach anyone anything. Hope this helps. 

https://www.youtube.com/bassresource

Just throw it. I love throwing my jigs, I use all homemade ones. I can fish them anywhere from a foot of water to thirty feet of water. If the water is dirtier than a foot and a half visibility use black and blue and experiment with an optional rattle. If the water is clear try to match the hatch. I always try to mimic craw dad. So depending on the lake or river I'm fishing I may use a green pumpkin or a brown color. Sometimes even a red one. Now use a weight appoirate for the depth your fishing. If your flipping shallow wood use a 1/4 ounce. Dragging it in ten feet or working it down a rip rock bank try 1/2 ounce. And if you're casting far lengths off shore on ledges or humps try a 3/4 or even a one ounce. Now time for a trailer. First remember this rule the colder the water the less action you want, the warmer the more action. So if your fishing less than 60 degree water temps try a natural craw or pork trailer. My favorite is a yum money craw. Match the color to your jig. If the water is over 60 degrees try sometime with twister tails or vibrating legs. My favorite here is a zoom speed craw. Well I hope I helped a little bit. Good luck out there

First try pegging your T-rig weight up against the hook, (Florida rig or punch rig) very similar to a grass style jig. Next use a craw type trailer or a single tail grub about 4" to 5" long, in lieu of a soft plastic worm. By doing this you can determine the proper weight and jig style that works where you fish, there is very little difference between a grass jig and a pegged weight, other than an exposed hook with some type of weed guard.

A jig is more compact (shorter) than most T-rigged worms and the weight doesn't slide up the line. Therefore the bass feels the weight inside it's mouth when a jig strike occurs and they may split it very fast.....set the hook immediately if not sooner!

Good luck.

Tom