Sign in to follow this  
ChrisAW

How Would You Fish A Swimbait Here?

I was curious how some of you might attack this lake with some 6" Hudds (Or the like). I decided to get into throwing them, it just looks too fun. Now, I will be throwing a frog early, and do some punching as well where ever it mats up, but I know I could gets some hawgs on a swimbait here. Since I don't have a ton of experience fishing structure, I could use some tips.

These are actually very small lakes. I made the picture side by side, but the left one is south of the right lake. Its a public lake with a crappy dirt launch, and its no-wake. This lake sees VERY little pressure, and most certainly produces big bass. I've been here four times. First, I was skunked. The second time I caught a 4.3. Third time, a 4.8 and 3.15. Just the other day, a 5.4 and missed a monster on a frog, very well could have been 6 pounds.

Nearly every inch of this lake is surrounded by cat tails. All of the edges are covered in a thick moss type vegetation as well, leaving maybe a couple inches of water. Once it starts to drop off, until about 8-10 feet, there is a weed line. This might be 3 to 6 feet wide, only leaving maybe two feet between that thick mossy stuff, and the stalks of weeds. Then it just drops off.

Now, I know fishing points is obvious, but since it drops off so fast, I don't know if it would do me any good here. I guess I should just be going along the edge and making long casts and bringing them back, but any other tips as to how to attack this would be great.

post-26872-0-93541100-1373405770_thumb.j

The lake on the right the key feature would be the island that has 3 saddles connecting to shore with deeper water between each saddle...big bass like this type structure, so fish around the island and all sides of the saddles and up and over the saddles.

The lake on the left has 1 small island or exposed rock pile. This tiny island is located on 1 of 3 points and is adjacent to a spawning bay.

The 2nd point is located on the opposite shore about 1/2 up the lake and is a classic bass summer location.

The 3rd point is near the inlet and has a nice deep water cut between a shallower flat, this also looks like a big bass location.

Focus you time fishing those areas. You will need a weedless swimmer to skim along the top of the submerged weed beds or add a weed guard with the exposed hook models; a piece of finesse worm attached with a Hitchhiker or CPS spring works good.

Are any toothy fish in these lakes?

Tom

PS; the saddles around the island are not as prominate as first look, so fish the 10' break line in tose areas and few cast out deeper.

Running weed edges with a weedless swimmer is always a good way to get bit. Find the high percentage areas like on the edges of the drops on a point or with other cover like rockpiles or brushpiles and you'll increase your odds greatly. 

There very well could be some toothy fish in here, but I have not had one on my line yet. Thanks for the tips guys. I have a bit of a game plan now. I have some cameras ready for Friday morning, feeling confident I will get some footage as well as some good pictures.

There very well could be some toothy fish in here, but I have not had one on my line yet. Thanks for the tips guys. I have a bit of a game plan now. I have some cameras ready for Friday morning, feeling confident I will get some footage as well as some good pictures.

If there are big pike or musky in these lakes, then the bass tend to avoid the deeper weed beds as they belong to the faster bigger predators.

The other reason is soft swimbaits like the $$ Hudds get shredded, you may need super glue gel to repair them.

Put the soft plastic swimmer in a ziplock bag with gel type attractant to lubricate before you start out the day, this helps the swimmer to slide in the basses mouth during the hook set.

Good luck!

Tom

Definitely no musky, quite possibly some big pike if its anything like other nearby lakes. I do have Mend-it and superglue, as well as using Megastrike.