Sign in to follow this  
buzzed bait

Do You Ever Hesitate Before You Buy....

Rods or reels that are on clearance in a store? Are you ever worried that something is wrong with them that you're not seeing?

I research ahead of time...if they are new in box I'm not worried...

• Like 1

Oh yeah I would research ahead of time myself but I'm thinking of those situations where there's maybe only one of them in the store and on clearance or something like that. A thing where it a great deal as long a nothing's wrong with it and you feel like you just can't pass on it...

i don't think twice if it is at a major retailer.  Most have good return policies if something goes wrong.

In a retail setting, inventory control/management is critical. Clearance sales in/of themselves are a common tool and nothing to be scared of. Due diligence prior to any purchase is always good practice.

• Like 1

nothing to be scared of...they could be selling off what they have because they wont carry that brand anymore or making room for newer models coming etc...and usually they still give you some time to return it if its not working anyway

If it is a big store then I would not think twice. I'd look it over for scratches or defects of the blank, push on each eye to make sure they arent loose/broken, and tighten the reel seat to make sure it isnt stripped. If it looks good I'd buy it. If this was a sketchy run down old bait shop I would probably pass. 

I jump on clearance rods that are of quality IMO. In store snagged 2 St Croix Premiers $24 each at DSG, a Shimano Clarus for $30 at Gander. Online a Camo Stick for $30 from Cabelas, a 7'6" Cumara for $99 from TW. St Croix has their bargain room I got a Legend Elite 7'6" M/F for $130 a LTB 6'9" MLXF for $115.

Reels though I dont get the great deals as much the best was a Curado50E for $100 from BPS kick mysefl for not getting at least 2 maybe 3 at that time. Got a Pflueger Supreme XT for $75 from Gander.

I usually only hesitate after I buy, it's too late then though :D   

I try hard not to pay full retail for rods and reels.  The best way to do that is to jump on deals when things go on clearance.  It's usually just because next years models are coming out.  

Rods, and tackle I will buy on clearance.  If I am looking for a reel, I do research online to see how others like the reel.