Sign in to follow this  
Root beer

State Of College Football

In all honesty, I'm fed up with college football. I'm tired of kids getting a free ride to school and only to abuse it. The entire Johnny Manziel debacle, LSU's RB getting arrested pleading guilty twice and is STILL on the football team. Alabama had their shares of trouble, but it just stupid how it happens all across the country. All across the country student-athletes are just living wild and free. Meanwhile in the same classrooms there are people struggling pay for school while trying to invest in a better life where the odds are stacked against them. The fans have created such pressures, but it just sicken see this craps go on every day. I don't even want watch it anymore..

I could write a novel but will only put a few of my opinions down.

Schools must start exerting power over athletic associations.  Too many times, AAs act too indepedently in matters of finance, discipline and academic intervention.  The LSU RB is a good example -- pretty sure a normal student would get tossed from school for that.  The school exists without the AA, the AA does not exist without the school.

The NCAA needs LARGE change.  See Jay Bilas's Twitter example from over the past few days.  College athletics makes BILLIONS of dollars a year yet the athletes get none of it (I'm not saying they should, just that they do not) and the cost of college continues to rise year over year.  Makes zero sense to me.  Seems reasonable that this money would somehow get channeled back into the schools that are driving this economic engine.  If the guys on the field aren't getting it, and the schools who give those athletes the chance to play don't get it, who the heck does?  Yes, I know who actually does and it makes no sense. 

A little common sense management would go a long way.  Why do some schools get to recruit 35 new players a year?  If they can't keep their guys eligible and out of trouble, it seems to me there should be some sort of penalty for that, no?  And don't even get me started on the absolute joke of NCAA investigations.  Can we get ANY consistency?

If it werent for college football a majority of the clubs and other sports wouldnt even exist at most schools.

In all honesty, I'm fed up with college football. I'm tired of kids getting a free ride to school and only to abuse it. The entire Johnny Manziel debacle, LSU's RB getting arrested pleading guilty twice and is STILL on the football team. Alabama had their shares of trouble, but it just stupid how it happens all across the country. All across the country student-athletes are just living wild and free. Meanwhile in the same classrooms there are people struggling pay for school while trying to invest in a better life where the odds are stacked against them. The fans have created such pressures, but it just sicken see this craps go on every day. I don't even want watch it anymore..

That is why so many professional athletes seem to have trouble following the rules.  Those with prodigious skills have been exempted from having to follow the rules which apply to everyone else.  They have been conditioned to believe that rules are for others, not them, from early on in their formative years.

It's not just the athletes.  It's the athletic system, including coaches.  Don't blame the athletes.  The fault lies with those who have taught them that almost any behavior is tolerable if you are a big man on campus. 

Leo Durocher:  "Nice guys finish last." 

Vince Lombardi:  "Winning isn't everything.  It's the only thing."

Al Davis:   "Just win baby."

Performance enhancing drugs.

'nuff said.

Root Beer, get with the program.

First, Louisiana has the Napoleonatic Code which is different than the Uniform Commercial Code (UCC). When the French wrote the Napoleonatic Code they had special laws for LSU football players which carry over from the 16th Century.  The LSUalumni judge was just enacting those Napoleonatic Codes so there are no problems with the Hill case.

Now Texas uses the Uniform Commercial Code which was written by University of Texas lawyers back in the 1800's so Manzeil's goose is cooked. This will make Mack Brown happy since he refused to offer Johnny Football a football scholarship.

In Alabama they use the Gump Code of Justice which means that if you have all of your teeth, or the majority of your teeth, you go free if you play ball for Bamasux and Awbunn. A state of Alabama college football player can actually take up to$80,000 in secret cash payments in the great state of Alabama and not be penalized. It is a way of life, especially if his team wins the BCS Championship.

With all the money being generated by college football it is time for the five big conferences to break off from the NCAA and start their own program outside of the NCAA and Title IX so that the guys can get all the bennies and the girls can get scr____ed. Hopefully by the football players.

You've gots to love that Louisiana justice!!!

A lot of the athletes are spoiled jerks for sure, but the NCAA is even worse. Can you imagine a regular business trying to operate the same way as the NCAA does? They legally wouldn't even be able to get off the ground.

The players are money makers for the school, and were talking big money here. Your average student isn't and that's why the stars get a free pass and us joe blows get screwed. I don't like it but that's the way it is right now. 

There is no real way to fix it either. You could boot the trouble player, but then another "shadier" college will just pick them up and you'll be playing against them. 

Punishment could work, since most of the problems seen in college athletes seems to be the attitude that they can get away with anything. A loss of a star could mean a loss of revenue for the school though, so I doubt that would fly either. 

My position on the latest Johnny Manziel autograph thing this: why can college football make millions upon millions off these kids but the kids cannot profit themselves? 

• Like 1

The players are money makers for the school, and were talking big money here. Your average student isn't and that's why the stars get a free pass and us joe blows get screwed. I don't like it but that's the way it is right now. 

There is no real way to fix it either. You could boot the trouble player, but then another "shadier" college will just pick them up and you'll be playing against them. 

Punishment could work, since most of the problems seen in college athletes seems to be the attitude that they can get away with anything. A loss of a star could mean a loss of revenue for the school though, so I doubt that would fly either. 

My position on the latest Johnny Manziel autograph thing this: why can college football make millions upon millions off these kids but the kids cannot profit themselves? 

You are correct when it comes to the money generated by college basketball and football.  But the roots of the problem go deeper than that.  In many cases, the coddling of star athletes begins in high school or earlier, where money is not a factor.  Though it may be in the case of a coach keeping his job, or getting a more lucrative position.

• Like 1

Fade, the players are punks. They have to be street hard to live through a football or basketball season. And they believe that since they are stars they can get away with anything.

I was shocked when I read in today's Richmond Times-Dispatch that four Vandy ex-football players were arrested for getting a little poontang. Vandy? Where the students are expected to read and wright, go to the opera, read poetry and love ballet? Come on, can't be true.

So even that great educational institution in Nashville is recruiting punks. I guess that is why they have turned the program around and are winning some games.

This is just the way it is in college sports.

OK, you spell write w-r-i-t-e. I know. Spell check messed me up.

You fix that issue in two ways...

1) discipline is handed down by uniform rules across the NCAA. As much as it pains me to say this, there must become uniform 3rd party handling discipline across all institutions. Many schools have proved their records here with absolute jokes in this regard. I am especially fond of those situations where a player commits some act in the offseason and he's suspended for the SECOND game of the season. Why? Because the school has a big game to start the season and the plays a cupcake. Or letting a player come back because his teammates vote him back? Gimme a friggin' break.

2) scholarship penalties for schools with track records of players not staying eligible or having too many run ins with the law. I guess it can be seen as noble in some regards if a school gives an "at risk" kid a scholly (we will temporarily disregard the reason why he is getting a scholly) but schools must have some accountability. If you have a trend here, the school should not be rewarded by simply booting the kids and filling their schollies with more recruits

• Like 1

You fix that issue in two ways...

1) discipline is handed down by uniform rules across the NCAA. As much as it pains me to say this, there must become uniform 3rd party handling discipline across all institutions. Many schools have proved their records here with absolute jokes in this regard. I am especially fond of those situations where a player commits some act in the offseason and he's suspended for the SECOND game of the season. Why? Because the school has a big game to start the season and the plays a cupcake. Or letting a player come back because his teammates vote him back? Gimme a friggin' break.

2) scholarship penalties for schools with track records of players not staying eligible or having too many run ins with the law. I guess it can be seen as noble in some regards if a school gives an "at risk" kid a scholly (we will temporarily disregard the reason why he is getting a scholly) but schools must have some accountability. If you have a trend here, the school should not be rewarded by simply booting the kids and filling their schollies with more recruits

Interesting but it won't fly in the great state of Alabama.

I'm more worried about the NFL's rules leaking down into CF. It is what it is and it won't change.