Sign in to follow this  
bigbill

Buzz Baits??

I know they work but I never caught anything with them yet. I do try everything I never caught any fish yet with them. I'm thinking I need to set them up like my spinnerbaits with a trailer?

I have every size and different blades known to man. I have double and tripple blade props up to single blades to quad blades.

What am I doing wrong? Presentation? Speed? Pause? Slow?

I try it at first light to dusk to dawn. (Twilight)

My problem is I forget about it and go back to what works. I would like to add as many patterns and different presentations to my arsenal of baits.

I'm not a pro or mister perfect but I did learn most patterns by sticking with them to learn the different presentations.

Any thoughts on buzzbaits?

My hottest spinner bait skirt colors are blue glimmer and hot chartreuse. Would it be better if I used these colors on the buzzers too?

• Like 1

Unless the fish are extremely aggressive I've found that a slower roll will catch more fish.  Now I've still caught bass burning the buzzbait across the top, but this year I've slowed it down and almost fished it like a spinnerbait with it just barely breaking the top of the water.

I'm using them brand new right out of the package. I just watched Gene from bass resource and he says to break them in and set them up so they squeak.

I probably have around 30 different buzzbaits and about 100 different spinnerbaits both in assorted sizes and colors.

I figured it could be the presentation I'm using, but it could be my setup too.

Ok once I make it squeak do I add a trailer (grub)? And a trailer hook too?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I like to cover it all so everyone can understand how to fish buzzbaits too.

i like to fish mine very slow thats why i like the dual props with 3 blades each and my fav color is white...i like the double blades because you can move it slower and still keep it on top...i like to use it so it has a bubble trail behind it and i like to keep it out there as long as possible

Go with a Cavitrons.

White when sun out and black early AM or late PM and if cloudy.\

Always use a trailer hook. One size smaller than the buzzbait size hook.

Add a plastic trailer if you need to bulk it up.

Have a Senko ready to throw if they miss the buzzbait. Throw the Senko at the same location where the strike occurred.

Use flouro 10 or 12-pound test on baitcasters.

Throw it all over the place all day long.

I love using Buzz Baits, I like to slow roll them from when it's almost dark until 11 pm, (even early in the morning) or when they quit biting. For me too slow rolling it produces way more fish. I don't really use trailers, but I do use trailer hooks. It seems I miss WAY more fish if I dont have a trailer hook. I like a 6'6 or a 7'0 MH rod, and since I fish near grass and wood I use 15# test fluro. Works for me hope it helps!

If fish are shallow, a buzz bait can pull them out if they're aggressive. I make multiple casts to the same target and eventually they'll get so mad and have to bite it.

I agree with the above post about Cavitrons. They allow for a slower retrieve which has also allowed me to have more strikes than ever this summer. They're my favorite to throw and I have a pretty good amount of success with them.

Thanks guys for your help. I never see this stuff used here. I see some shore guys throwing spinnerbaits but they catch nothing.

I always use a trailer with my buzz baits for weight and that little added action, usually an appropriately sized grub.

I tried trailer hooks a few times, and all three times the fish hit the main hook no problem and wound up with a trailer hook stuck in its face.  After the last one, a verrrry ticked-off northern, I retired them to the tackle-making bin. Sometimes the fish miss the bait, but I'm usually working it slowly and often they are persistent enough to chase it down for another swing; I wait until I feel the weight of the fish and I'm happy with my hook-up ratio.

Even though they are obviously topwater baits, and it is AWESOME when they work that way, I will let mine yo-yo up and down a few feet if I'm not getting any topwater love.  My basic philosophy is that it's easier to change up presentations with the same bait than to change baits altogether, and I've caught plenty of fish on a buzzbait down three or four feet. They can go pretty much anywhere a spinnerbait can go.  

Black is my best color, but yellow and white work for me too, and I only fish them early or late.

Good luck!

I fish a buzzer first and foremost as a target bait and I've found that I get a lot more strikes if I cast well past my target.  I started out just casting to, or a little past the target and caught a few, but my numbers increased big time when I started casting 15+ feet past when I could.  I don't know if it's the irritation factor, the extra time a fish can get into position to strike, or whatever and I really don't care as long as it works.

This is definately not a lure I cast searching out active fish like I would a crank and if that's what you're attempting, that may be the reason for the poor results.  Just a thought.

Love em!! We caught 40 yesterday in 2 hours 1 over 5 and 3 over 4. We also caught several small <10" fish so it shows all sizes will eat it.

Read this from the best of bassresource.  I read it this morning and found it very helpful..already bent the rivets and drove around town with each of my buzzbaits in hand to 'break them in' a bit more.

I'm really surprised that you haven't caught anything on them based on how much you say you use them. Forgetting the weedless stuff that is needed when fishing the slop, the buzzbait is my 2nd-favorite topwater after the Jitterbug. You shouldn't need to make them squeak or use a particular brand to catch fish. I would like to know if you are alternating your topwaters and catching fish on others while failing to catch anything on a buzzbait.

Personally, I don't use trailers but always use a trailer hook.

Every so often I will try one. I tend to give up and go back to what I know works for me. I know it's my fault for not sticking with them. I'd like to learn the rest of the lures I haven't had success with yet. I know it's me not using them correctly. I do have one of the four prop Hart buzzbaits too. But I'll try the smaller ones first.

So far I'm good with topwater, spooks, poppers, spinnerbaits, inline spinners, crankbaits, minnowbaits, jig n pigs, plastic worms, creature baits,

senkos, bushogs, grubs etc. I use the split shot rigs, carolina rigs.

I haven't tried the mojo rig, the drop shot rigs yet.

I'm just using what works for me. Somedays my fishing time is limited because of my health. So I end up rushing on somedays because I know I won't last for too long. I just fish till my knee pain starts up. But I stay fishing thru the pain sometimes too.

I never use them -The black ones don't catch anything- HMM

Every so often I will try one. I tend to give up and go back to what I know works for me. I know it's my fault for not sticking with them. I'd like to learn the rest of the lures I haven't had success with yet. I know it's me not using them correctly. I do have one of the four prop Hart buzzbaits too. But I'll try the smaller ones first.

So far I'm good with topwater, spooks, poppers, spinnerbaits, inline spinners, crankbaits, minnowbaits, jig n pigs, plastic worms, creature baits,

senkos, bushogs, grubs etc. I use the split shot rigs, carolina rigs.

I haven't tried the mojo rig, the drop shot rigs yet.

I'm just using what works for me. Somedays my fishing time is limited because of my health. So I end up rushing on somedays because I know I won't last for too long. I just fish till my knee pain starts up. But I stay fishing thru the pain sometimes too.

Well, mostly you are just not fishing the buzzbait in the right locations. There can be some subtle tricks, but for the most part 

this class of lure is simply cast and retrieve. My #1 strategy is to work the lure along a weedline. I really believe the specific

brand is VERY important. Most of the guys have recommended a 3/8 oz Cavitron, black on black. That's my suggestion, too.