loudcherokee

Planning Setups - Need Input

Trying to do this on a cellphone, so hopefully the format is ok.

I'll start with what I currently have, then post my planned purchase "wishlist", and finally, my planned techniques for each setup.

currently have -

Lews tournament MG 6:1 on 7' MH lightning rod shock.

wishlist is as follows -

Lews tourney pro 7:1 ratio

*** *** black 7'1" MH rod

Lews BB1 5:1 ratio

BPS carbonlite 7' M rod

Lews speed spin spinning reel

Berkley Lightning rod shock 7' M spinning rod

Zebco delta ZD2CP spincast reel

ok, here goes my planned setups. This is where I need advice in what to throw on what setup.

Lews MG 6:1/Lightning rod MH - 30# braid with 15# fleuro leader -------

weighted plastics

spinnerbaits

buzzbaits

jigs

Lews TP 7:1/*** Black MH - 65# braid----------

frogs

spinnerbaits

buzzbaits

jigs

weighted plastics

Lews BB1 5:1/Carbonlite M ------- 12# big game mono ------------

cranks

treble hook lures

top water lures (poppers, jitterbugs)

Lews Speed Spin/lightning rod M - 15# braid with 8# fleuro leader-----------

finesse plastics

weightless plastics

light lures (roostertails, etc)

dropshot

Zebco Delta/ugly stik 6'6" M - 10# mono ------------

relaxing beer drinkin bobber fishin setup

So that's it. I guess what im trying to figure out is if Im planning the right approach with the right rod actions and the right reel ratios. I kinda feel like the two MH rods on the lews cancel each other out, but im not sure.

LC

It looks fine to me, but if it were me..I'd tweak it this way -

Lews MG 6:1/Lightning rod MH - 30# braid with 15# fleuro leader ------- Blade baits - Frogs
spinnerbaits
buzzbaits
frogs

Lews TP 7:1/*** Black MH - 65# braid---------- All plastics rod

cranks
treble hook lures

finesse plastics
weightless plastics
dropshot

Also, if you can I'd switch the spinning rod to be a Carbonlite and the lightning rod to be there treble hook rod.  The reason being I'd rather have the more sensitive rod for the bottom contact/feel techniques. 

• Like 1

It looks fine to me, but if it were me..I'd tweak it this way -

Lews MG 6:1/Lightning rod MH - 30# braid with 15# fleuro leader ------- Blade baits - Frogs

spinnerbaits

buzzbaits

frogs

Lews TP 7:1/*** Black MH - 65# braid---------- All plastics rod

cranks

treble hook lures

finesse plastics

weightless plastics

dropshot

Also, if you can I'd switch the spinning rod to be a Carbonlite and the lightning rod to be there treble hook rod. The reason being I'd rather have the more sensitive rod for the bottom contact/feel techniques.

Hmm...good point about the rod sensitivity. I could make them both carbonlites, or add another *** for finesse. I just read a couple places that the carbonlites are good cranking rods.

LC

I would second what lmb said about the carbonlite. I have one in spinning, awesome sensativity, not so great with with trebles, or top water. I use an ugly stick for that, I like the flex especially walking the dog or poping.

I have my setups like this,

1. Spinning topwater lure rod only 7'

2. Spinning crankbait lure rod only 7'

3. Spinning inline spinners to 1/8oz to 3/16oz spinnerbaits 6'6"

4. Spinning smaller lures 5'6"

5. Spinning carolina rig / plastics 6'6"

6 Crankbait jig n pig 6'

7. Crankbait smaller spinnerbaits 1/4oz to 3/8oz. 6'

8. Crankbait larger spinner bait 1oz+ to 1 1/2oz 7'

These are my setups for now. I'm still upgrading my reels, rod lengths and matching everything to my line test.

Fishing from shore my average carry is 5 rod setups.

Hmm...good point about the rod sensitivity. I could make them both carbonlites, or add another *** for finesse. I just read a couple places that the carbonlites are good cranking rods.

LC

BPS also has a Crankin' line instead, I hear great things about them.  If you want a dedicated cranking/topwater rod.  Which is also cheaper than a carbonlite, I don't have one yet...but a lot of good reviews.  Do a search, I can't remember who posted..maybe it was Goose52?

BPS also has a Crankin' line instead, I hear great things about them. If you want a dedicated cranking/topwater rod. Which is also cheaper than a carbonlite, I don't have one yet...but a lot of good reviews. Do a search, I can't remember who posted..maybe it was Goose52?

Looking into those too. Nothings final at this point as Im going to be accumulating this stuff over the winter to be ready for next season.

Im also not sure about my line choices. Is there anything wrong with mono for cranking?

LC

Nothing wrong with using mono for cranking. I normally use copoly or floro.  (Use copoly on my M/F 7' for squarebills, since it has some stretch, but not as much as mono, on my moderate cranking stick I use floro as the rod itself will negate the effect of the little to no stretch floro line.)  Line is just preference really.

Would an *** M work good for a cranking rod? The more and more I read about these things, the more I want to switch all my rods over.

LC

Would an *** M work good for a cranking rod? The more and more I read about these things, the more I want to switch all my rods over.

LC

Probably be fine for shallow running crankbaits - Squarebills...not sure how soft the tip is though, I'd definitely use mono for mainline. 

LC 

I have  M action 7'1 *** that i tried for cranking, i didnt like it too much for that, it is the perfect power for for mid depth cranks, but the tip is just to fast, also i couldnt feel the vibration of the crank to well, and  i had multiple fish come off, ( that shouldnt happen with a cranking rod with the right action) I still love that *** though( keep in mind i have 4 OMENS all together), i now use it with 12lb fluoro for senkos, finesse jigs, open water spinnerbait, and it DOES make a good lipless crank rod.

I ended up picking up a Shimano Compre Crankbait casting rod at a local tackle shop, so far ive used it on 4 trips out, hooked and landed a total of 22 fish with, not one has come unhooked, I would recommend you take a look at this series of cranking rods, it sensitive, and has a good mod fast tip for crankbaits, plus a lifetime warranty. they also make the clarus crankbait rod, which is about $20 cheeper, but still has a lifetime warranty. 

hope that helps, if you have any questions on the omens, let me know!

also, i recommend you bump you *** up to the 7'3MH over the 7'1, i find i like my 7'3MH alot better than my 7'1MH. although its only 2 more inches, it make a difference, believe it or not, it actually feels a tad bit more sensitive also..

David

In fishing with my current finnesse setup which isnt that great, I noticed just how bad the slack line sensitivity is with straighr braid.

Hoping the high vis yellow will make a difference, however im sort of thinking of going straight fluoro. What is a good fluoro line that will work well on a spinning reel (casting ease, low memory) for a finesse setup if I go that route?

Also considering making the rod to go with the tourney pro a heavy action since I already have a MH 7' rod with my current MG. Would that change my chosen presentations for the 7:1 tourney pro above?

LC

I don't feel that straight braid is all that bad. Then again, I am fishing it on a Cumara and I still miss some bites. I'm in the same boat as you, switching to either yellow braid or opening the can of worms that is fluorocarbon. You have to buy good quality fluoro and line conditioner is recommended. It's a jump in cost that I'm hesitant to make when my straight Power Pro is "fine".

There's always Yo Zuri Hybrid, which is popular. I've got a spinning reel coming with an extra spool and TW should be having a Labor Day sale. Line will be purchased, testing will happen, and I'll send you my opinions then.

I think a Heavy power *** is a good rod. You might have some trouble throwing 1/4 oz weight and plastic on it though. On the upside, great frog rod.

IMO you can dump everything except the spinning rod and be good to go

Of course !

If I wanted to be extravagant I'd have 2, a ml set up for open water and a med for slop.

I would like to add that always use your most sensitive rod of proper power and action for your contact baits, less sensitive rods function well for moving baits but will not allow you to feel some of the very lightest bites that are often associated with contact type baits..

Still in the planning phase here, but not for long.

Was thinking, for the cranking setup....what are your thoughts on yo zuri hybrid 10# for line?

LC

I'm in favor. Braided line on a glass rod is also pretty cool. I'm testing and liking it.

Still in the planning phase here, but not for long.

Was thinking, for the cranking setup....what are your thoughts on yo zuri hybrid 10# for line?

LC

perfect line for cranking, small diamater but strong.. also good for topwater