Sign in to follow this  
HookSetDon

Losing Odd Fish On Ewg Jig

I've been pouring my own jigs for sometime now using a nice stout 4/0 ewg hook. The hook is tough as nails,and very sharp. Problem is sometimes when setting the hook I'll feel the fish-they'll be on for a second then they'll get off... I'm using a heavy action glx with 50 lb braid. A friend said sometimes they get off, I just wondered if i could do something to improve my ratio.

Straight shank round bend hook ;)

• Like 1

I have helped a friend of mine do better using a poison tail jig with the EWG style hook, he was having the same problem but I found something that works. I noticed a long time ago when I would use the EWG style worm hooks on senko type worms I was hooking 80% on the fish I caught in the corner of the mouth and it was doing the same thing with the jig only the fish were spitting it a lot more than usual. I'm not a physics professor or anything like that so I'm not sure why this happens but for some reason jigs that use the EWG style hook get a reputation for losing fish yet some anglers will only use a jig with that style hook. I've come to find out that it depends on how you set the hook that makes the difference, everyone I fished with that likes the jigs tend to use a sideways sweeping hook set basically pulling up on a 45 degree angle. The anglers who hated it seemed to  be using a straight vertical hook set pulling up on the rod at a 90 degree angle, and I think the reason it that vertical hook set misses more fish with the EWG style hooks has to do with the way the hook comes out when it is set. I've seen it on the worm hooks too but for some reason when a bass grabs a bait with that style hook it almost always turns to one side, even the jigs do this, I substituted round bend hooks in place of EWG hooks and found guys having trouble with the EWG have a dramatic improvement with the round bend in the same exact jig, the anglers who faired well with the EWG hook didn't notice any difference with the round bend. So, if you change your hook set then the EWG is fine, but if you can use a round bend in place of it, that is a better solution because the hook set is pretty natural and changing it will require concentration while the round bend hook will allow you to focus on fishing and not worry about how to set the hook.

Agree with Catt 100%.

It's simple geometry!

EWG hooks have the hook point directly in line or slightly above the eye of the hook. The front of the jig clears a path for the hook's point to escape a bass's mouth without imbedding.

On straight shank hooks the point rides substantially above the eye of the hook and aims fot the roof of the bass's mouth resulting in more hook-ups.

Simple. So long as the hook point stays behind the weed gaurd, bend the hook point out a bit.

I've had better hookups with the Chompers jigs that most others because of the fact that with the point bent out more, the hook has PLENTY of room to grab something.

But, I've also started skipping with the Booyah "swim" jig. It is a round bend hook, but does not have an offset eye. It is a straight shank. So far, when I'm out using these, I have not missed a single fish. That doesn't happen often.

Well it looks like I have some solutions, and I think you nailed it smallmouth, I've noticed when I do set on a slight angel due to my position I get a better hook up. However I don't always set the hook the same way. Changing to a round bend isn't a problem as the mold accepts both, problem is I can't find a round bend hook with the same diameter and strength of this one. Another option might be opening the hook up a little like Chris suggested.

Don go look @ the hooks on Terry Oldham's jigs!

Well it looks like I have some solutions, and I think you nailed it smallmouth, I've noticed when I do set on a slight angel due to my position I get a better hook up. However I don't always set the hook the same way. Changing to a round bend isn't a problem as the mold accepts both, problem is I can't find a round bend hook with the same diameter and strength of this one. Another option might be opening the hook up a little like Chris suggested.

What hooks are you using now? I've had great results with the Gamakatsu #291 hooks. They're pretty stout.

Tom

It's simple geometry!

EWG hooks have the hook point directly in line or slightly above the eye of the hook. The front of the jig clears a path for the hook's point to escape a bass's mouth without imbedding.

On straight shank hooks the point rides substantially above the eye of the hook and aims fot the roof of the bass's mouth resulting in more hook-ups.

This says it all. Very good explanation as to why.

Stop pouring jigs with EWG hooks! Straight shank hooks are the best... Ewg hooks help keep plastics in place when texas rigging a bait, but even then I still dont' use them because of hook up and landing issues. I avoid them when possible, aside from a few specific scenarios. 

This says it all. Very good explanation as to why.

Stop pouring jigs with EWG hooks! Straight shank hooks are the best... Ewg hooks help keep plastics in place when texas rigging a bait, but even then I still dont' use them because of hook up and landing issues. I avoid them when possible, aside from a few specific scenarios. 

I don't miss fish with the EWG style worm hook and on a jig, well I swing to the side almost 99% of the time when I set the hook so it isn't an issue but I will tell you what the EWG hook does better than straight shank hooks, they hold fish better. I can honestly say that every single fish I stuck with a jig with the EWG style hook I landed, I never lost a fish on one but I have lost plenty of them on regular round bends, it is the single reason why there are jigs on the market that use that style of hook. Round bends work, no doubt about it but if a fish can get leverage they can throw the jig, it is the reason makers started using free swinging hooks on cables for jigs and  spinnerbaits as to not allow the fish to throw them. EWG hooks require a sideways hookset which is why more anglers prefer the round bend but a fish hooked up on the EWG has a very difficult time throwing it even with leverage however the problem with hooksets is one in which I say you are better off with a round bend.

Every fish I stick with a round bend is through the roof of the mouth...they aint throwing it.

You are not always in position to set hook sideways, with a round bend you set hook straight

up so you are always in position.

The Owner 5317 or 5304 style hook also works good depending on the jig head design. Oden's hook look like Mustad 32786 NP-BN or Gamakatsu 291 on his snootie head jig.

One problem a EWG style jig hook creates is caming over or rolling sideways during the hook set.

Tom