Loop_Dad

Your Favorite Blade Baits

I didn't even know what the blade bait was a month ago until someone mentioned here that they work well in winter.

I went to local store and asked them if they had blade baits. They went, 'blade what?' It took for while till I found one in the store. They said that's a spoon. Maybe they are called differently in west coast. The one I bought was from Damiki and cost was $6.99. I thought it was expensive, but it looked really nice.

Anyhow, I really liked fishing it, although I caught nothing before loosing it. It went to the bottom in no time and I felt the vibration on my rod very clearly. 

Since then, I've been buying online, taking advantage of free-shipping deal or just plain discount deal. I have two more coming from overseas.

From top left counter clockwise:

Binsky 1/2 oz

Heddon Sonar 1/2 oz (Nice and big hook)

Johnson ThinFisher 1/2 oz (I like the look and build of this bait best)

BPS Lazer Blade 1/2 oz  (This supposed to be 1/2 oz, but it is actually 3/8 oz size. )

Cotton Codell *** Blade 3/8 oz (The front hook is a double hook. I'm bit concerned if it will stick or not.)

I haven't fished these yet.

What are your favorite blade baits (color, size)?

blade baits

I have only used Silver Buddies and knockoffs from Ebay. Silver for more clear water and gold for stained. Usually 1/2-3/4 oz

I lose so many that I buy in bulk from Ebay for like $1 each with no hooks. I change the hooks anyway

I heard the Binsky is best but not cheap. I ordered a few on clearance to try though.

I like the original Silver Buddy (and its clones) and the BPS one. But truthfully, they all work. I stick to silver and gold, and the lightest one for the conditions. I grab a bunch when they go on sale. I got tired of loosing them so I modified them  with a split ring instead of the snap, and clip off the treble facing down on each hook. I also fish them on braid with a 15 lb Big Game leader. Now the only time I loose one is on the rare occasion one gets wedged under a rock and I can't shake it free.

It catches year round, but its a go to in the cold. 

Silver Buddy and G a y Blade. If you decide to fish these, buy a few, they hand up

easily. I think light line makes a HUGE difference, so you will lose a few, it's just the

price of poker.

:xmas-115:

Blades are just pure "dy-no-mite" from ice out until spawn up here in the northeast. Killers for smallies and lake trout. I've used a lot of blade baits and I feel that as long as they have a decent vibration, they will work. However, it is fun to carry a selection and experiment. :)

Problem with blades is that they have a tendency to hang bottom a lot. Especially in wooded bottoms like we have here. That can get expensive in a hurry, if you're tossing $4.00 blades. So, if any of you are tight wads like me, you might want to consider looking at the pre-moled, hookless blade bodies offered in the Barlow's catalog (pg. 55). At a little over a buck a piece, you can afford to loose a bunch and not feel too bad about it.

Here is one of the best instructional videos on fishing blade baits that I've ever found. Wish I had it about a dozen years ago when I first started tossing them. (Billy Westmoreland's teachings got me started.) Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLOoWcoPIK4

• Like 2

I like the original Silver Buddy (and its clones) and the BPS one. But truthfully, they all work. I stick to silver and gold, and the lightest one for the conditions. I grab a bunch when they go on sale. I got tired of loosing them so I modified them  with a split ring instead of the snap, and clip off the treble facing down on each hook. I also fish them on braid with a 15 lb Big Game leader. Now the only time I loose one is on the rare occasion one gets wedged under a rock and I can't shake it free.

It catches year round, but its a go to in the cold. 

So snap failure is one of the biggest reason for loosing them? Some of those snap look absolutely tiny. My $6.99 blade was lost due to snap opening.

I make my own with a Do-It mold. 

As far as hanging up, I put open shank double hooks (no split ring) on them with the points facing backwards. Solves a LOT of hang-up problems.

Tom

My buddy told me about these. Him and his buddy went out to Rodman Resivour and were tearing em up on blade baits.

I forget what brand he uses but I may try them out. From what I am getting from these posts is to get a couple because I will lose them