Sign in to follow this  
NavyVet

Did I Make A Mistake?

I recently purchased a Dobyns DX704 for T-Rigging and Jigs . No complaints at all with the rod, but It is heavier than I expected. Will be throwing 3/8 oz. jigs with trailers, large worms like 10 in. Rage Tails, and creature baits with 3/16 oz  to 5/16 oz bullet weights as I mentioned before on this forum. I appreciate all who responded.

My question is this, did I select the right rod for this application and if so, should I keep the DX704, or should I swap it out for the DX703?

no you did perfect. the 4 power dobyns is fantastic for the weights you mentioned. I use the DX744 for the same t-rigs you mentioned. I use the 743 for senkos and 1/8 trigs. 

Agreed. I have more 4 power rods than any other in the dobyns line because they are so versatile.. I'm looking to pick up a dx 704 so please let me know how you like it

I will agree with what has already been said. The 4 power is the rod you want.

You did good but as with my rods, yes they do feel heavier. I have fished lighter rods but i love my dobyns 

I think the decision you made was correct based upon the info you provided. Despite the slight difference in rod weight, the balance with an "average weight" reel by today's standards would balance fine. I have a custom curado 50e on my dx 703 and the balance is phenomenal.

So far I like what I am hearing. The DX 704  is still in the plastic wrap, so I have never actually fished it. I value all your opinions, and perhaps I'll get a few more. Expensive investment if it's not going to "hit the mark."

These guys are right. I got the DX744 based off their recommendations. I've been throwing jigs 1/4 and 3/8oz with a 4.20 RI Sweet Beaver so far. I've been MORE than pleased with the way this rod handles these weights.

These guys are right. I got the DX744 based off their recommendations. I've been throwing jigs 1/4 and 3/8oz with a 4.20 RI Sweet Beaver so far. I've been MORE than pleased with the way this rod handles these weights.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the rod.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the rod.

Easily my favorite so far. Thanks again