tallen316

Line For C-Rig And Jig

I'm looking for line that I could use for both a carolina rig and a 1/2 jig. I was thinking going braid for both for the sensitivity and strength. Something that concerns me is draging a c-rig with braid (mono leader) is fraying the braid with the weight or just the bottom contact. My other thougth is going floro for both maybe about #17?? Any suggestions or comments on what would work best or maybe what you use? For what its worth going with a 7'3" H rod.... possibly a 7'6"

I typically use McCoy copolymer for both applications, Crig 15 with a lighter leader, jigs 20lb and have never had a problem, heck never have a problem with McCoy. braid is tough but still a cloth and in my opinion will not hold up as well scraping the rocks as the copolymer or floro.

• Like 1

Copolymer.. I have to say I don't think I've ever heard of that kind of line. You think 17 would work for both? Of course using a smaller leader for c-rig.

Jig rod should be dedicated to jigs or T-rigged worm depending on the weight, you mention 1/2 oz jigs.

Line diameter or lb test affects a jig sink rate, not an issue C-rigs.

Copolymers are mono line. P- line CXX is another good copolymer. Unless you are fishing heavy weed cover 15 lb would work good for both.

Tom

• Like 1

15lb P-Line CXX  which is strong, cheap, sensitive for a copoly or 20lb Sunline Sniper if you want to go the fluorocarbon route.

• Like 1

WRB.. I would love to have a rod dedicated to jig only but at this point I have to work with what I've got. I only have one set up now that is a 7'3" my that I throw pretty much everything on except a jig and c-rig on. I'm about to purchase another rod either 7'3" or 7'6" heavy for jigs and c-rig. I guess my thinking is that I need a heavy rod action for a jig and c-rig and one rod could do both. Also I want a rod with more power. I've thrown heavy rods before and I like it with a heavier lure. Maybe I'm way off..??

• Like 1

When you say jig are you casting the 1/2 oz jig or planning to pitch it into cover?

A traditional C-rig has a swivel, bead and sliding egg sinker with a 3' to 4' leader, a longer rod 7'6" works better.

A finesse C-rig using brass tubular weight like a Pro-Jo from Top Brass and a pegged Bead for a weight stopper would work good with a 7'3" heavy jig rod and the 1/2 oz jig, for example.

Tom

Casting a jig mainly. This is one reason why I took into consideration a longer rod. Then again I don't want to much rod either.