Sign in to follow this  
pbizzle

Fishing This Pond

My dad wants to go fish this pond on Saturday. It's been recently stocked by the state with rainbows so he's going to try to catch supper. I've caught a few bass here when I go crappie fishing, but nothing over a pound and a half, although I've seen a few larger bass busting on baitfish. There's serveral brush piles scattered a long the bank, along with hydrilla all around the banks (although it may have died off since this fall). There's also a small section of it that's just a mud bank. It floods very often, and the bank slopes off pretty slowly. I'm not really sure how deep it really gets though. I'll be fishing from the bank. I'll probably through a shaky head, senko, spinnerbait, and maybe pitch a small 1/4oz bitsy bug into the brush piles. What else would y'all try?

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en-US&q=lake+junior&ie=UTF-8&ei=vgzGUpnfNIegkAfD0ICQBA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA

I'd be fishing a suspending jerkbait if I was after the bass. If it were me though, I'd be targeting the trout with an ultra light. They are much more aggressive and active in cold water than bass are and are a blast on ultra light gear. 

I fish a small lake here that has hydrilla. When it dies off in winter it leaves tuff little clumps of it here and there. Lots of fish will be holding on these little clumps. The ones in the rite place of corse not all will be holding fish. But I've pulled a lot of fish off just one three by four area. Using lipless cranks. How ever my lake is spring fed keeping the water temp at 55. If your temp is much lower. You'll really have to drag them slow. A suspending bait would be better. But you can use the lipless to find the clumps. And feel for there size. They are easy to pull threw it. Just keep a steady retrieve when you it hit and it will pull free clean most often.

If you find one fish on a clump. He most likely has some buddies there. Toss some soft plastics at it lastly before moving on. It helps to have a few rods tied up with different things.

I'd second the trout fishing. Wax worms will fill your limit quick.

• Like 1

I'd be fishing a suspending jerkbait if I was after the bass. If it were me though, I'd be targeting the trout with an ultra light. They are much more aggressive and active in cold water than bass are and are a blast on ultra light gear. 

I'm still going to take the ultralight, but that brushpiles just five yards over is always to tempting. I'm sure you know how it is.

I fish a small lake here that has hydrilla. When it dies off in winter it leaves tuff little clumps of it here and there. Lots of fish will be holding on these little clumps. The ones in the rite place of corse not all will be holding fish. But I've pulled a lot of fish off just one three by four area. Using lipless cranks. How ever my lake is spring fed keeping the water temp at 55. If your temp is much lower. You'll really have to drag them slow. A suspending bait would be better. But you can use the lipless to find the clumps. And feel for there size. They are easy to pull threw it. Just keep a steady retrieve when you it hit and it will pull free clean most often.

If you find one fish on a clump. He most likely has some buddies there. Toss some soft plastics at it lastly before moving on. It helps to have a few rods tied up with different things.

I'd second the trout fishing. Wax worms will fill your limit quick.

This helped a lot actually. I'm expecting more than clumps though as this lake is chock full of the stuff. It may help though because I've been trying to get more confidence with lip less cranks, and I may even try a sqaure bill or two.

Suspended jerkbait would be my first choice, just to see if there's some activity. Then I'd switch over to a jig or just a craw and drag it across the bottom with some twitches in between.