Sign in to follow this  
conorsixtakc

Split Rings On Ball Head Jigs?

While the water temp at my favorite lake still hasn't made it into the 40s, I've been researching finesse techniques for early Spring. I've seen some guys using split rings on ball head jigs... does anybody else do this? I like the idea but I'm wondering if it really produces more strikes, or if it's just a confidence booster.

If you're using an Alabama Rig, I think that split rings on jig heads is a great idea.  On a couple of occasions last year, I lost one bait off of an A-rig rather than the whole rig because I used a split ring connection.  If you're just throwing a jig, I don't think that it does any good.  Perhaps if you're throwing some kind of scrounger type jig head, then the looser connection might help the action somewhat, serving a similar function to what the snap does on a chatter bait.

Really, I don't know.  I don't think I would go to the trouble on just a ball head jig/grub type connection.

Just to expand a bit, by ball head jig applications I meant things like Ned rigs, Yamamoto grubs, etc.

If you're using an Alabama Rig, I think that split rings on jig heads is a great idea.  On a couple of occasions last year, I lost one bait off of an A-rig rather than the whole rig because I used a split ring connection.  If you're just throwing a jig, I don't think that it does any good.  Perhaps if you're throwing some kind of scrounger type jig head, then the looser connection might help the action somewhat, serving a similar function to what the snap does on a chatter bait.

Really, I don't know.  I don't think I would go to the trouble on just a ball head jig/grub type connection.

Thanks man, I was kinda thinking the same thing. Just wondering if it would be worth the trouble.

Try it. Might give the jig a lil more action. If it doesnt work no big loss. Always think outside the box.

• Like 1

You could try using a loop knot on the jig. That could give you similar action. If you try the split ring, let us know how it works! Worth a shot....

• Like 1